Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small group of sp. black bembas, 1m/5f. The 4 sub-dom females have all held to term (all on their first try) and I have 20 fry in the same tank. However the alpha female has never succesfully held to term, she always seems to spit or eat her eggs after only a few days (she has spawned at least 6 times). It appears as if she is more concerned with keeping her status than rearing fry. I'm wondering if this is normal behavior? Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Weird. Nothing unusual about females losing batches. Young male still not fully firtile or female unable to look after herself without spitting ect ect . But for a dom female to lose em more than the others real wierd. In my tanks they often take up the young of less dominant females. Are we breeding Tropheus unable to hold to term by stripping is the age old question?
But then with one male and 5 females it is a very un natural set up for Tropheus so I guess no one can count anything in or out for sure.

All the best and hope your breeding efforts go well.
Just not enough of these guys about stripped or natural.

All the best James

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have never stripped any of them, I did not set out to breed either. I got lucky with the male to female ratio and do my best to keep them healthy and happy. :D

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It turns out she is a really great mom! I've been watching her gaurd her young with vigor. They stay close to mom and she takes'em back up a couple times a day...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts