Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am growing out Dolphins and Tropheus Duboisi in my 125 gallon.

I want to make this my show tank with a small school of Dolphins (7 or 9) and a large school of Tropheus Duboisi (36).

Does anybody see a problem with this?

Thanks

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I see major problems with this.

If you're referring to C. moorii, they grow to be about 9 inches and are carnivores. A tropheus (which is a herbivore) might make a nice meal for an adult moorii.

Read the profiles for these two fish and do a bit of research.

Not a good combination at all, IMO.

Kim

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I do not see C. moorii eating Tropheus. C. moorii is really a sand sifter and in the wild follows larger haps that dig up the sand. However, I do see an issue with the aggressiveness of Tropheus. This may be too much for C. moorii to handle.

When keeping Tropheus, you really want to make them the center piece and make sure you cater to their needs first, or you may have issues. With the two fish you want to keep, unfortunately this is a one or the other option.

There are some nice tangs that you can keep with Tropheus which include gobies and cyprichromis.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Petrochromis are also another good species to keep with Tropheus.

Dave, I saw a moorii eat a Tropheus, or rather - I walked into the LFS right after it happened! :eek:

It was a temporary set up and the fish weren't raised together...One of those emergency situations where you have to combine fish, whether you want to or not. The Tropheus got stuck in the mooriis mouth and had to be forcibly removed.

Kim

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
cichlidaholic said:
Petrochromis are also another good species to keep with Tropheus.

Dave, I saw a moorii eat a Tropheus, or rather - I walked into the LFS right after it happened! :eek:

It was a temporary set up and the fish weren't raised together...One of those emergency situations where you have to combine fish, whether you want to or not. The Tropheus got stuck in the mooriis mouth and had to be forcibly removed.

Kim
Not something that I would expect, but then again the old saying goes," if it can fit in another fishes mouth...".

·
Registered
615 Posts
wow! :lol:

any fish can eat any fish if one fits in the others mouth.

the question here is - what size are the fish. c. moorii grow slow.

The ideal situation for a grow out of this type is to have the dolphins be about 2" larger than the Trophs. That way as the Trophs grow (more rapidly than the Dolphins) the Dolphins will be used to them by the time they are grown. I have seen a four inch Dolphin chase a six inch Red Empress so they can hold their own. The Dolphins are a type of sifter so I would imagine that they would not mine sifting through the mess the Trophs leave behind in their frenzy.

Also, by the time the Trophs are getting to full size the Dolphins would have been already hitting the 6" or 7" mark.

I should also mention that Petros can get just as large as Dolphins :thumb:

I see no troubles in this scenario. Of, course you'll get no Dolphins breeding more than likely.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Sometimes I think these fish are like toddlers...They will eat anything! :lol:

Or, at least try...

Kim

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes that is what I am doing.

I have 1" Trophs with 4" Dolphins. For a fish that's eats tropheus they sure are breaking the rules :lol:

The dolphins pretty much ignore the trophs like they aren't even there. I may have asked amiss but I was really more concerned with how the fish interact when they are grown. From what I have read Dolphins are timid when it comes to breeding but they seem to hold their own otherwise.

Yes I have done my research but years of fish keeping tell me that reading gets you but so far. I was asking this question in hopes that someone here has tried it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts