Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bottle of prime that I have been using for water changes. Last night when I did a water change I noticed the bottle had a strong sulfur smell. I had no other choice of product to use and the tank needed a change so I used the smelly Prime. So far everything seems great and like always the fish enjoy the water change. But does Prime go bad? Any ideas why the smell developed? Should I replace it?

I tend to keep the prime on the top of my tank on the light. I guess one possibility is that it heated the bottle. If this is the case what do you think happened to the contents of the prime?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
It states on the bottle that the smell is normal after it's been opened for a while.
I'm not sure if it would ever go bad or not, but I don't think so.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Prime does not go bad . It does not have an expiration date on the bottle . As for the smell.......Prime always stinks....even a brand new bottle . As long as it stinks...then you are good to go . :D

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
From Seachem's site:

Q: I think that my Prime®might be old because it smells like it went bad...

A: Prime®has a very distinct odor that is similar to sulfur which is completely normal. Also, the presence of small black specks is normal.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you want a conditioner that doesn't contain sulfur you may consider Hikari Ultimate. The two LFSs near me swear by this stuff. So far it has been working great for me.

I personally just couldn't stand the smell of prime and amquel plus (both with sulfur). Even capped bottles of prime just stink after a while.

·
Registered
40 Posts
supadave said:
Prime does not go bad . It does not have an expiration date on the bottle . As for the smell.......Prime always stinks....even a brand new bottle . As long as it stinks...then you are good to go . :D
x2 when it smells like roses throw it away :lol:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yeah don't spill it on your carpet of will linger for a few days.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Suken said:
supadave said:
x2 when it smells like roses use as cologne :lol:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I kinds like the smell. Weird huh? :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts