Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to search for 3mm NLS cichlid forumula but have had no luck. Do they make this in 3mm?

I saw the large fish formula in 3mm but not sure what the difference is.

I currently have NLS 1mm cichlid forumula but my labeo fuelleborni cannot see it. All the other fish have no problem but these are just too small for him. I have to feed him large spirulina flakes and i would eventually like to feed him NLS too.

If anyone has a link to 3mm cichlid formula please send it to me.

If you all recommend changing to the large fish formula (3mm) will there be any problems with smaller fish trying to eat these?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I use general purpose 3mm NLS for my Malawi haps.

I've read before that all the NLS formulas are very very similar and good for feeding to any fish. Think I read it on their company's forum, in fact.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All my fish are mbuna. I just wanted to make sure which ever 3mm NLS formula i choose it's going to be ok to feed all my mbuna and to mix with my 1mm cichlid formula.

I'll go look on the NLS website later and see if they list the ingredients of the cichlid forumla, large fish formula, and general purpose formula to see if there are any differences.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
The 3mm I have is Large Fish Formula. The ingredients and guaranteed analysis on the label are 99.9% identical.

·
Registered
437 Posts
What about the 3mm NLS Cichlasoma formula? Specially for NW cichlids only? Better to just get large fish?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had the same question/problem when I switched over from 1mm to 3mm. They are in fact identical when it come to ingrediants. I've been using 3mm for about the past 6 months and love it! It's definetely the way to go for your bigger mbuna :thumb:

my smaller fish do have a bit of a problem eating them, however they usually just hang around the bigger guys and wait for them to make a mess and get the scraps. It works out fine for me.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks. I ended up getting the 2mm thera medium. No idea what the thera part means, but seems like a happy medium, so to speak. I have most of a 1mm can still so once they finish that, they should be ready for the 2mm.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I use the 1mm for all my fish. I did buy 3mm for an 8 inch borleyi who seemed not to see the food, but when he went, so did the 3mm.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Seems Thera A has 41% protein vs 34% in the 1mm cichlid formula. Not sure about the Cichlasoma.

I guess there's no harm in giving bigger fish 1mms, they'll just eat a lot. Do you guys buy the jumbo (5lbs) can, or prefer to keep it fresher? My biggest fish are 4" at present, I have some CP cheaper 3mm pellets that they scarf down. They eat everything like they've never been fed, actually.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
A bucket lasts me about six months in the freezer.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
DJRansome said:
A bucket lasts me about six months in the freezer.
what do you mean,do you run out after six months or its not fresh and goes bad?I,ve wondered about this,I buy it by the pail,keep refilling a zip lock bag and store the pail in the freezer,I got this pail a couple months ago and the expiration date is June 2014

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I run out after six months. I would not buy more than a six month supply, and for one tank, it would not be a bucket. Just a preference. I buy the small bottles of catsup too. :oops:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts