Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my 40 gal breeder my fish were less jumpy when I walked by, and that tank had a bright light. I bought a 55 that came with a light and all that jazz, well the light doesn't seem as bright and has a little bit of a purple hue to it. Anyways my fish are a lot more jumpy in this tank and seem to freak out at any movement in my room.
Could this be due to less light?
They have been in my new tank for about 4 days now, and they never acted like this in my old tank.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My guess is its the stress from being moved into a new tank. They have to reestablish themselves in their new environment. Also you would be jump too if someone came with a net, scooped you up and plopped you down into a new home.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Light does play a role in behavior with some fish. For example, some don’t like bright lights and hide as a consequence. Nonetheless, I tend to agree with Jason here. Four days isn’t much time for them to settle into a new tank, and it is the more likely cause of the change in behavior.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I've always attributed it to the reflectivity of the glass with high light... if the front glass is like a mirror, they aren't seeing the foot traffic. When I switched my planted tanks to LED, the fish got very jumpy... the glass isn't reflecting any longer, so I've just assumed they could now see me clearly through the glass.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I think it will be both the change having them upset and the way they can see you better. Both should work out after they get used to the new digs. We sometimes give our fish less credit than they deserve. They not only know they don't like the net, they know who had the net. Feed them extra nice and it brings them back around to thinking you are a nice guy.

Unless you really are that scary to look at? :lol:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey now lol, I am very pleasent on the eyes haha. :D
Yea I didn't think fish were that smart, I thought they didn't remember much lol. But yea I hope they come around, they are awesome fish and I don't want them to be afraid of me.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Way back in history I had a fish that had real brains. I would normally rush in, grab the brine shrimp from the freezer and throw some in before rushing out to the second job. Most of the time I never even took my ballcap off. Old George had this routine figured out and was waiting for the good stuff, just thrilled to see me! But one day i left the ballcap in the car and ran in to feed.
George about freeked out! He knew the food was in the freezer, he knew me, but he did not know this bald headed guy that came in so he hid behind the rocks!

Cichlids have brains that other fish don't!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.