Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at doing a planted tank down the road and wondering if I used fluorite does it have the potential to scratch glass like the pool filter sand I'm using now? Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Any sand or sand-like material will have the same potential to scratch the glass if it is picked up by an algae scraper. For info how to avoid this see this thread. Obviously unless moved around by something like an algae scraper, sand will not scratch a tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,875 Posts
Flourite does sell a sand, but it's relatively new. Black.

The flourite usually available and familiar to most people is a gravel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are we talking about flourite, the mineral, or a commercial product? Flourite mineral has a mohs hardness of 4, glass is 5. Flourite mineral shouldn't scratch glass. No say about a commercial product.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
I assumed the OP was inquiring about Seachem Fluorite®. I have never used it myself, but I understand it's a relatively fine gravel with an uneven size distribution. Due to the chance of picking up smaller particles, I would not use magnetic algae cleaners with it - same as with pool filter sand. YMMV.

The reason I have not used fluorite is that my plants seem to get all they need from wish waste. In fact, part of the reason for having life plants is for them to remove some of the fish waste. I an wary about adding additional minerals to the water. I would be particularly worried about boosting algae growth, but again, I have not tried it.

·
Super Moderator
40,875 Posts
I use Flourite in my planted tanks but only in pots...not for the general substrate. I have absolutely no problem with it adding to algae or nitrate (or phosphate) in my tanks. I still have to fertilize and add Excel to get decent growth, else my nitrates go to zero, plants languish and I get cyanobacteria.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I use flourite in the refugiums. Very irritable, does not like to be bothered. Good for plants from what I have found using it though as others have stated, you still need to fert. I dig innit to rearrange plants and it settles fairly quickly.

Stay away from it with any magnetic device as there is a lot of iron innit and if you use a magnetic glass cleaner it will pick up ore.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are great replies. Thanks. I don't know if fluorite is the answer for me in a planted tank that I want to do down the road but I do know I've had enough of sand. Even being as careful as I can, I've scratched the you know what out of my glass.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Just for the record, I don't fertilize either. My plants have to make do with the fish waste that's available in the tank. They grow very slowly, but I wouldn't say they languish.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just a note: My 10 year old grand-daughter did a science fair experiment to test phosphate and nitrogen uptake.

A six inch anacharis stem, fertilized only by the waste of 1 well fed betta (1 gallon jar). grew 1/4 inch per day. Ammonia 0.0, Nitrite 0.0, Nitrate 0.0, Phosphate trace >.2. In two weeks the anacharis grew 2 inches.

No water changes made, no filtration.

·
Super Moderator
40,875 Posts
fmueller said:
Just for the record, I don't fertilize either. My plants have to make do with the fish waste that's available in the tank. They grow very slowly, but I wouldn't say they languish.
I know about your success and I'm very jealous! Have not been able to replicate however. Mine definitely languish!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts