Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 40 yellow lab fry currently split between two fry traps inside my main tank. To help keep the traps clean, I added two ghost shrimp with the fry in each trap. They all get along & are doing well together. Has anyone else tried shrimp in their rearing tanks? I figured it was worth at shot at only 49 cents each at the lfs, if it didnt work out it wasnt going to break the bank.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What is the reason behind this?

·
Registered
47 Posts
RRasco said:
What is the reason behind this?
If your asking me? It is because my female pearl white zebra likes to eat fry and I wouldn't mind letting them live... They'll go to the pet store when they are bigger. Right now they are about .25 inches..

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I wanted to know why someone would put shrimp in their fry tank.

·
Registered
363 Posts
RRasco said:
I wanted to know why someone would put shrimp in their fry tank.
I think to take care of uneaten food and fish waste. Won't some shrimp actually snack on fish poop and further break it down? (I may be just nuts on that one...)

I just have snails in my baskets. Didn't put them there, but have snails everywhere. Probably do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Meh. Fry tanks could benefit from more frequent WCs as is, just vacuum it out. That's my opinion anyways. A much more viable option than risking your fry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts