Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to slap his tail and dorsal fin around in the surface of the water?

Mine seems to get a lot of pleasure doing this...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
AC said:

Mine don't do that, but they do reach up and stick their nose out of the water to get at the food. If I stick my finger in the water, they like to try to nibble on it too. I don't mind them doing it, unless it starts to hurt :p They currently aren't able to break skin, let alone give it a good pinch.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rhinox said:
AC said:

Mine don't do that, but they do reach up and stick their nose out of the water to get at the food. If I stick my finger in the water, they like to try to nibble on it too. I don't mind them doing it, unless it starts to hurt :p They currently aren't able to break skin, let alone give it a good pinch.
lol i had fish that everytime id clean the tank they would bite my arm it felt weird im pretty sure that included some acies too.

anyway none of my fish ever slap their fins in the surface of the water

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A lot of mine will slap the water when they are feeding on pellets that are floating.

Pretty much like trout do when hitting a fly on the surface...

Other than that, they don't seem to go too close to the surface.

This guy loves to do it though.

He will also stick his dorsal fin out of the water like he's a shark and swim across the tank as fast as he can making a wave.

That seems to entertain him quite a bit too.

I'm starting to wonder if he is just playing head games with the other fish in the tank.

They will come up to the surface when he is up there swimming around, then they all scatter for cover when he slaps around in the surface or does the shark fin thing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
AC said:
A lot of mine will slap the water when they are feeding on pellets that are floating.

Pretty much like trout do when hitting a fly on the surface...

Other than that, they don't seem to go too close to the surface.

This guy loves to do it though.

He will also stick his dorsal fin out of the water like he's a shark and swim across the tank as fast as he can making a wave.

That seems to entertain him quite a bit too.

I'm starting to wonder if he is just playing head games with the other fish in the tank.

They will come up to the surface when he is up there swimming around, then they all scatter for cover when he slaps around in the surface or does the shark fin thing.
maybe he wants to end it and jump out lol jk
id love to have my fish do this it sounds interesting to watch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.