Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as far as i can recall this thing seemed to have developed overnight... i thought it might be an infected wound or a tumor but it just looks so odd like its a big blister underneath the scales with this red cauliflower growth emerging from the middle of it like a flower!!!! bizarre

the fish itself seems healthy enough otherwise

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Nope- not a tumor. My first guess is a severely infected wound, second guess is a parasitic infection. Either way, he should be treated.

Start with clean water and antibioitics- Maracyn I and II commonly available and would cover a broad spectrum of potential bacteria. Something like Fish Mox is cheaper but may not be as effective- I really don't know.

Clean water is just as important as the drugs- I suggest replacing 30% today and 30% tomorrow.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well from that site it seems to point to "Lymphocystis virus" which has no known cure.. sure looks similar.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
zazz said:
well from that site it seems to point to "Lymphocystis virus" which has no known cure.. sure looks similar.
I thought the same thing zazz but from what I've read of this virus it develops over time. I think you should proceed on as triscuit has advised--infection most likely.

Robin

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i have him in isolation with meds and it seems to easing off... so hopefully it will heal and fall off.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
zazz said:
well i have him in isolation with meds and it seems to easing off... so hopefully it will heal and fall off.
I'm glad he's still doing okay- what meds did you decide to use?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts