Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 and a 110. I have been so annoyed by the noise from these filters. I may have found a solution to the vibrating lids. I simply put a rubber band around edges of the lids. They have been virtually silent since then. The 110 took a very large rubber band that my require a little hunting for, but the one on the 70 is just a standard size one. I hope this idea helps someone else. Give it a try and let me know.

http://s790.photobucket.com/albums/yy18 ... 270003.jpg

·
Banned
406 Posts
*** seen people mention a rubber band before...some said it worked some said it didnt.

I have had 2 AC70s (returned them because they were no more silent than my 110) and I have a AC100...all 3 were loud and it had nothing to do with the lids. Guess my Eheim 2217s and FX5 have me spoiled because all 3 are virtual silent.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
My AC's aren't making any noise at all knock on wood! I've had them over a year now. I just do routine cleaning on them, keeping the impellers clean, and making sure the water level is the same as the return flow.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I put a dab of silicone on the corners of the aquaclear, let it dry, then rest the lids on that. My AC110 was so loud (motor noise only) that I retired it after using it for 2 weeks and bought an Eheim 2217 instead.

My AC 50 seems to be quieter though.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Interesting that so many have noisy AC's. I must be very lucky with 6 running and virtually no noise at all from any of them. The oldest one is about 2 years now.

·
Banned
406 Posts
I've never heard a quiet HOB filter and I'm talking motor not water noise. They all make noise....guess we all have a different take on what we consider noisy vs quiet.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Silent AC70, I can usually hear my XP2 over it which is itself virtually silent.
If you feel so inclined, add your comments to the reviews section as this thread will be buried eventually.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have two small ac's on my 29 (one was leftover from another tank) and a larger ac70 on my 55gal. They sometimes need slight adjustments to keep them quiet. I've never had any MAJOR issues with noise. The lid on my ac70 makes noise sometimes so I have it resting on top differently than normal. Water level being a little higher helps too.

I used to have a penguin 350 bio wheel and the ac 70 on my 55 gal. The penguin constantly made noise no matter what and never kept the water super clean. I recently ditched it and bought a rena xp3 that I have running with the ac70. I kept the ac because I like the it so much. Canister is the way to go imo tho!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have two little AC 30's on my 20L in my bedroom and never hear a thing. And I have some 2217's to campare it to.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have used Aquaclears for at least 15 years.
some brand new are quiet some make noise.
sometimes the pump would not match up well with that housing, so i'd swap pumps and housings around, since i'd have about 10 running.

as far as the vibrating tops, i simply put something with weight on top of the housing.
usually a couple of abalone shells does the trick.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have a AC50 & AC20, and whatever is in my Fluval Edge; quiet on all 3.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts