Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep my tropheus tank along with all my other tanks in my basement.

There is 2 small windows that let in a bit of light, enough for them to stay awake while the sun is out.

Do tropheus need a good source of light in order to breed? or can i leave the light off?

i was told to start a routine, lights on same time every day, feed same time every day, water change same time every week.

But wondering if i can leave the light off, just to save on energy.

Thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
one of teh advantages of having the right amount of lighting is to promote algae growth which yoru fish will really thank you for....

My fish spend most of the day grazing on the rocks which is quite rewarding to the fish and myself...

·
Registered
723 Posts
digiddy: Are you concerned with hydro costs? You will find that lighting, particularly with standard fluorescent fixtures, is relatively cheap and virtually untraceable on the monthly electric bills.

The routine idea is key, however you may find it challenging to feed at the same time daily, but the key is to feed 1Ã- daily, or 2Ã- daily, not 4Ã- one day, then nothing for two days, etc.

Also, the water change on a routine goes hand in hand with the feeding on a routine, as the waste will accumulate in a linear sense, assuming you are feeding in a linear sense.

The other poster is correct about algae, and Tropheus do receive many hours per day of light penetration into their wild habitats, thus it can be deduced that it may have benefits for the fish themselves. Would you like to live in a dark dungeon with a small window for your only source of light.

Light gives life. ;) Think about it: photosynthesis for plants, or the production of Vitamin D in our species, which enables us to absorb calcium, etc.

Buy a timer from the hardware store for $10, and put your lights on a timer. It can't get any easier. The difficult part is setting the timer to prevent excessive light amounts, but yet to provide illumination of the aquarium a times you will be around to watch. With the ambient light, albeit it minimal, that you already explained, a timer set to 09:00 to 21:00 (9 AM to 9 PM) may suit your purposes well.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
i find tropheus and many other finicky breeders (eg. pleco variants) react/stimulate with change. i've watched tropheus attempt spawn behavior during substrate cleanings, water changes, clout treatments, feedings, AND when the lights come on/off. i would suspect disappointment, if your tropheus were left in low light 24/7/365. IMHO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts