Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally decided to pu my male and female in my 55 by themselves and they've only been in there about a week. Well yesterday the female decided to lay eggs but I'm not sure if theyre are fertile

·
Registered
406 Posts
They look fertile, if they stay that color then you'll know for sure. Eggs that aren't fertile will turn white. Also it'll only take about 3-4 days before they hatch and then another 3-4 days before the fry go free swimming.

What are you going to do with all the fry? Leave them with the parents or are you going to pull them and try to raise them?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll probably keep them with the parents because the cichlids in my 125 would make short work of them and my 10 gallon hasnt been setup yet. I didn't think they would lay eggs so quick. If they don't make it I'll try to have the ten gallon set up by next spawn.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it normal if some of the eggs turn white or does that mean none have been fertilized. I hope my males not infertile from the harsh conditions he was in

·
Registered
85 Posts
The white ones are definately no good, That does not mean that none were fertilized. You'll just have to keep watching and see what happens.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks guys for the quick responses. They should hatch by friday or saturday. I'm really excited because this is my first pair that I have actually got to mate and I've had a breeding pair of convicts lol. The convicts would always show breeding behavior but the female never laid eggs.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Congrats on the eggs. Keep us posted if/when you get wigglers!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just checked on them this morning and all the eggs were gone except a few white ones. i was really disappointed. then i look really closely into the rocks on the other side of the aquarium and there i see about 200 little wrigglers bunched up together. i cant wait to see what the look like in a few weeks. :D :D :fish: :fish:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congradulations! :dancing:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Congrats! Mine just laid eggs for the first time as well. Did your parents start lip locking after they were laid? Mine were nice to each other until this morning. Now the female isn't allowed near the eggs... Sorry, not meaning to hijack your tread but curious if we were dealing with the same issues.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No they actually didn't even show pairing behavior except the female pushing the male a little bit. They never fight or liplock at all it's crazy they don't do anything I've heard normal pairs do

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The male doesn't act as protective as the female. The female actually flares up at me and the male just kinda watches.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They finally started free swimming today I couldn't get a good pic because there so small. But the mom keep them in a spot the filter ( I hope non get sucked up) there are a couple in a different spot but the mom keeps on picking them up and putting them back by the filter so that's why I can't get that great of a pic

·
Registered
85 Posts
:fish: =D> :dancing: Cant wait to see them grow up! :popcorn:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Congrats! I've never had cichlid fry before, but just got a convict pair and hope they'll spawn in a few weeks :)

I can't wait to see your fry get older :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
You should cover the intake tube of your filter or you will lose some fry. I like to get a sponge filter sponge and slip it onto the intake. This cuts down the gph but the sponge will add extra filtration so I think it makes up for it. In a pinch you can put panty hose on it as well but I find the panty hose clogs and you'll need to clean it pretty often.

·
Registered
170 Posts
jason_nj said:
You should cover the intake tube of your filter or you will lose some fry. I like to get a sponge filter sponge and slip it onto the intake. This cuts down the gph but the sponge will add extra filtration so I think it makes up for it. In a pinch you can put panty hose on it as well but I find the panty hose clogs and you'll need to clean it pretty often.
Like this?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... n=SHOP+FOR

1 - 20 of 21 Posts