Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Pulled this out of my Oscars 101 thread:

Here's some additional info on keeping multiple oscars:

Here's my take on the whole two oscars and tank size issues.... It's been my experience that no matter the size of the tank, even an 800, males will simply not get along. The problem comes when you have a tank smaller than 800 gallons one male WILL kill the other. Especially if a female is present. I currently have six oscars in an 800, three are mature, three are not and have not revealed their sex yet. Of the three that are mature only one is female. The two males still hate each other but there's room to run in a 14' tank, not a 240, or a 75. To get two males to get along is not an easy task but it's been done.

In short here's the deal:

F + F = OK
F + M = OK (sometimes)
M + M = No way

That's usually why only one oscar is recomended for a 75, not because there's not room for two oscars but because there's aggression issues.

Two females will work in a 75 with a 90% success rate. I say 90% because there's still a 10% chance they won't get along. I'd still do it though.

I'd give a pair about a 75% success rate in a 75 simply because a female will test a males strength before spawning with him, if he's too strong and she's got no place to run then she's dead. If he's not strong enough then she might kill him if he's got no place to run..

And two males I'd give about a 10% shot... best not to try it.

Now here lies the problem, there's no proven method of sexing juvinile oscars.... So you're stuck with the only safe option of getting one Using dithers to spread aggression around doesn't work with oscars.... (Dithers are target expendable fish that are used so your main fish don't kill each other. They spend their time going after the dithers instead of each other) Oscars will simply eat the dithers, or ignore them
Oscars are drama queens, sulking should be expected when moved... Moving, if you think about it is a traumatic experience... They are sensitive fish when it comes to change...

What size tank do you have now? You talked of upgrading but from what? :)

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I'm going to go out on limb here and say that young oscars do lke the company of their own kind... for a moment or two... I put seven of my fry into a 125 to grow them up a bit for a friend... There was one that was just a frogs hair smaller than all the rest. The other six worked together to not let the runt eat... Then, one started to grow faster than the other five and all he!! started to break loose... He was removed and sold... The other five got on just fine, which was good but I only saw them get on this way for a week or so till my friend came and got them...

Point is, once one gets a jump on the other size wise he will always eat first and will grow faster... Seen it happen a million times.

I pulled the eggs of this latest spawn and plan to raise one by it's self slowly giveing it bigger and bigger confines until he's got a 125 to himself. He will be a show fish and get treated as such.

I also plan to keep another five and grow them to about 5" and put them back in with their parents in the big tank... Should be an interesting experiment...

Not sure why I just wrote all that in your thread :oops:

I tend to babble when it comes to oscars..... :lol:

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Don't waste your money on petstore bought substrate. Get the substrate you like, they don't care... I have pool filter sand, and I also use pea gravel from a stock yrd that cost $20 a ton....

As for dimming your lights... Take some card board and cover up some of the glass between the light fixture and tank. Lights in a cichlid tank are for us... The fish do not need them. I turn my light on in the morning, eat breakfast, feed the fish, turn the lights out before I walk out the door. They get turned back on at about 7:30 PM when my wife and I get down stairs to sit down and re-cap the day...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.