Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at him now, and every time a egg swims out of the shell he puts it in his mouth. I'm not sure if he's eating them or just putting them back.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The egg is swimming? :-?

Or are you talking about fry?

All types of egg layers can, and often do fail at parenthood the first few tries, including eating their fry. But, parents are also known to "pick up" their fry, to move them, or put them back where they want them. It could be either...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the eggs are swimming, I know I did a double take to, but I know fry from eggs, and he has a couple fry already, and the eggs are just goin everywhere. I think they're trying to hatch, but I keep seeing him grab some, I just don't know if he's eating them or if he is putting them back in the shell with the female.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
eggs don't swim... wigglers... fry that have just hatched, will still have eggs attached to them, but they would be categories as wigglers, or small fry at that point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, ok. Then they are wigglers, the eggs are still on their heads.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
With a name like college sucks, I'm guessing sleep deprivation stops you seeing the eyes, head and tail coming off that big egg sac... :wink: :lol:
I doubt dad is eating the wrigglers, more likely trying to put them back in the shell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, thank you :D

And this is the first time I've been able to see the wrigglers before, my shellie pair is the only egg laying pair I have. I got my Julie and her bay from my grandpa, and I got the shellies as a pair from him too. It's new, and it's kinda cool. :D i'm excited, so far i have 4 decent sized fry (Over a week old I'm guessing by how old they are) and wrigglers keep poppin out of the shell.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Brevis are probably my favorite shellie. I think I saw a female doing what you describe once, but generally brevis are awful parents and once the fry are free swimming do little to protect them IME. But, put your hand near the shell and the male will go after it very aggressively. He seems to defend the fry only by defending the shell. I've had many brevis breeding pairs and what you're seeing wasn't typical for mine. I doubt also that he's eating them. If he wanted to do that, he'd have gone into the shell and done that already. If he could get past the female, that is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts