Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my Cichlids just delivered a brood of fry.
Two of the fry have been released and the female may still be holding the others.

I do not feel like stripping the fry. Can I move the mother into the Nursery tank and wait for her to release any fry she is holding before moving her back into the main tank?

Also, in the future, How soon after I expect a female is holding should I wait before moving her into the nursery tank?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it is Melanochromis joanjohnsonae . Tank is 46 gal.
The nursery tank is 10 gal. Small, but since it is in my work office, it will have to do for now.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
Yes and 18 days.

Yes you can move her to another tank to spit the rest. Are you sure there are more?

I move moms at about day 18 and they hold on average 28 days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This being the first time I've had a female deliver fry, I did not even know she was pregnant.
Her mouth is still purple, so does this mean she may still be holding others?
I was thinking of transferring her to the nursery and see what happens.
If she had other food available in the nursery and released all of her fry, would she possibly eat her young?
If she is not likely to eat her young, then I would put her in the nursery for a while.

Rick

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
She will eat them starting about 48 hours after she spits them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess that's why people strip the fry.
You always read about how mouthbrooders will protect their young.
From what you are saying, this isn't always true, even if the female is fed.
Thanks for your advise. I will separate her soon after she releases.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
When they say mouthbrooders protect their young, they mean the period of time when they carry the fry in their mouths. Once they are out, it is over. :thumb:

Substrate brooders among the Tangs protect their young the way you are thinking. My caudos attack the Python quite vigorously when they have eggs/fry in the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts