Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got away from my HOB's and just put an Eheim 2217 (love it) can't believe I didn't do this sooner. Anyways, as I am reading more and more it seems that everyone runs a canister with one HOB for Mechanical filtration and something to "clean" every few weeks..

Is it really neccessary to run a HOB on a 90 with just an Eheim 2217? If so, I was looking at getting the aquaclear 110 but i am concerned about noise. This is why I switched over to the Eheim which is almost dead silent.

Also, I am most likely going to be installing a 3d background that sticks out around 2 " from the back, this obviously will be an issue if I need to install a HOB.. With the Eheim intake tube i was just going to put it behind the background and cut out a small square were the intake sucks in the water.. Then put a mess so fish can't get behind it.. This would at least hide the pipe.. If i got a hob, i'm assuming i would have to do something similar but it may be a bigger hack job, not really thrilled about that.

Looking for some advice, pro,cons of each setup..

·
Banned
406 Posts
I have a 90...started out with a Eheim 2217, added my AC110 (used) and it was too noisy. Bought a brand new AC70 (less powerful though it would be less noisy too) but it was just as loud.

So I bought a FX5. For such a large output filter is sure is quiet. The Eheim is quieter but not by much. If you can stand the noise of a HOB Id put a AC110 on there. :thumb:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I really need to know does the benefit outweight the noise level if im trying to keep things as quiet as possible? Or does it just mean I need to clean the 2217 a little more often?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I don't know how many fish you have in the 90 but I would go with a second filter. I have two 90 gallon tanks - each with an AC100 and AC70. Not saying you need those brands but I'd want a second just in case the one quits on you. I have used 2217s. Good quality and quiet but I'd want a second something there - even a 2213 or even the AClear the size down from the AC70 if it fits.
Eheim is reliable but I'd not want to chance just one filter.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5 zebra
5 labs
8 mainganos
5 white top hara

So really the whole point is for a backup filter? I guess it would be good to have that.. maybe ill just toss on an ac70.
I do have my old penguin 350s I could use one of those but I am trying to eliminate all noise. How loud are your acs?

·
Banned
406 Posts
Cromak said:
What I really need to know does the benefit outweight the noise level if im trying to keep things as quiet as possible? Or does it just mean I need to clean the 2217 a little more often?
That's for you to decide. If your biological aspect is fine and your mechanical aspect is fine then no there's no reason to add another filter.

I have 4-4" male peacocks; 4-3" male peacocks and 6-2" yellow labs. Because the 90 is so tall and wider compared to my 55 gallon I had **** floating around and on the sand so I added a FX5 for mechanical filtering. It doest hurt to have a backup filter just in case anyway so go with a AC70 or check the classifieds. I saw a guy selling 2 Eheims (2213 & 2215) for a little over $100.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The 2217 is rated for up to 160 gallons tanks. The amount of media in it is plenty for a 90G in terms of biological needs. Like 60gallon said the issue that can arise is an accumulation of waste on the substrate i.e mechanical filtration. If I was in your position, worried about noise, I would add a silent powerhead instead of a HOB filter. Providing enough circulation will keep your sand clean. You might want to rinse your blue sponge more often but the fish would be just fine with just a 2217 IMO.

Mike

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx for the advice guys.. I actually already have a powerhead running..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts