Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I know how to properly cycle...I have 2 established 55gal tanks. I had a problem with aggression and need to quarantine a fish who was viciously attacked yesterday and lost a large chunk off of his head and his entire tail!

So I set up my 29 gal quarantine/hospital tank. I used one new sponge filter, one LONG established trickle filter, LONG established gravel, rocks and plants (Hornwort, Java Moss and some aparently not tasty leafy plant that came stuck to the Java). The plants weren't liking the bright lights on the other tank, so I figured I'd make the peacock feel at home since I don't know how long he'll need to be quarantined for.

I have another established canister filter I could use on it if it does need to cycle, but I'd like to move the fish asap. Do you guys think it will be okay?

·
Registered
212 Posts
how big is your established trickle filter? GPH? Try seeding sponge filter with your other established filters. Like gettin small bucket with water from established tank. squeeze good filter media into bucket. Squeeze your sponge filter and let it absorb alot of bucket water. Does this make sense. That way it would have a start.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured the Java Moss would basically do the job of seeding the filter, since I've tucked it around the sponge. The trickle filter does 160 gph, the sponge 250 gph. I could swap the sponge for an established canister that does 250 gph....

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I like to keep my QT tank down to pretty much minimum. I do keep a small spare filter hanging on back of a tank that I move over. The plants may be something that are a problem with some medicine and they can lead to more bio-load. I do not keep plants in the QT but use rock to give cover. I want the fish to have cover to hide when sick/injured but also I need to see him to check progress so I use easy to move items. For needing a cycled tank, I find with injured fish, they need little food so cut way back to reduce the bio-load. I also feel good water is the best way to help a fish recover so I am do many more water changes than normal. With less food, a single fish and lots of water chaning, the cycle becomes less important. As the fish begins to recover and I see that more food might help, the filter and cycle will be more able to handle the load as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm not using any medications or I wouldn't have moved the plants. I just need to give him time to regrow his tail and for his head to heal, so I don't know how long he'll be in there. My reasoning was that even if it did cycle, the plants would be able to process any ammonia a single 2" fish could produce. Plus they didn't particularly like the strong lights on the other tank anyhow.

I've moved him now and everything seems to be okay. :)

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I find there are two meds that seem to help and are priced in a compfortable range. I find they also do no harm to the bacteria. When I have fish with open wounds, I add both Pimafix and Melafix at the same time to head off potential for other diseases to enter the wounds. I'm very slow to add meds but these two seem quite good so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.