Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 55gal and use a penguin 330 power filter. I'm planning on adding some more fish in a Mbuna tank and my total will be 18. I'm thinking of buying a canister filter (maybe the Eheim 2217) and running them both. Is this overkill. I know the penguin will not be enough.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Godd combo. There is a good chance it will give you quite a bit more than needed but some reserve for when the fish grow is good. A bit pricey at first but I think you will love the 2217. One point on shopping --make sure you are getting media at the price rather than an empty canister. The media can be as expensive as the filter depending on where.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, I figured I would go bigger on the canister because I'm sure a bigger tank is not too far in the future :D
Is there a way to adjust the water flow so I'm not blowing my fish around? Or am I overestimating water flow?

·
Registered
509 Posts
The 2217 will be fine on a 55. I had a Fluval 405 and a Eheim 2217 on my 60 gallon. The Fluval created a higher velocity output than the Eheim 2217 did.

If you find that eheim is blowing your fish around too much you can drill out the holes in the spray bar with a slightly larger drill bit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You should get valves with the 2217, if not I'd recommend them. These can be used to reduce the output if required :thumb: I think you'll love the filter, the 2213 I have is fab, my water is crystal clear with just that (and plants).

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't know that you would want to use the valves to reduce the flow. I think dobomb is on the right track with larger holes in the spraybar. You will find that it won't be blowing your fish all over Neptunes realm, but it will keep it clear. I actually cut my spraybars a couple holes shorter. So I could put them on the long end of the tank. I then drilled a couple more holes in them facing down. Seems to work well for me anyway. Trial and error, it's a good piece of equipment and you can't go wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts