Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

I have a 20 gallon/ 30 inch long tank. I have an Aquaclear 50(A610) HOB filter at one end that is listed at 200 gal/hr. Water conditions have all been really good.

Do you think I need a powerhead to aid in the circulation of the aquarium?

Thanks,
Rob
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
Hi Rob, I don't know that you need a powerhead for this tank, the question is what might you accomplish with one.

A lot might depend on the species you are keeping, decor placement, live plants or debris pick up. Also adding a power head is noticeable in the tank so that might affect your viewing pleasure.

If you are seeing debris settle more on one side than the other, you could move the filter to the other side and rotate its position during weekly filter maintenance, one week on the left side and the next week on the right side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Deeda for the reply. My apologies for not responding sooner.

The set up of the tank limits the location I can place the HOB filter. This tank is on my desk in my office right next to a smaller tank. In addition, there is not enough clearance between the back of the tank and the wall to move the HOB to the middle of the tank or the other end.

Deeda said:
Hi Rob, I don't know that you need a powerhead for this tank, the question is what might you accomplish with one.
Good question. Because the HOB can only be placed on the end of the tank, the flow is less at the far end. However, is still circulates. I perform water changes once a week, and by the time I do the water change the flow rate is noticeably less at the far end. Likely a little paranoid about not having enough filtration.

Deeda said:
A lot might depend on the species you are keeping, decor placement, live plants or debris pick up. Also adding a power head is noticeable in the tank so that might affect your viewing pleasure.
Good point on a power head taking away the view. I hadn't thought about that. Right now I have ~ 25-30 juvenile sunrise peacocks in the tank. No plants and 2 small decorations. As they grow big enough I move them to my main 75 gallon tank.

Deeda said:
If you are seeing debris settle more on one side than the other, you could move the filter to the other side and rotate its position during weekly filter maintenance, one week on the left side and the next week on the right side.
Honestly, it seems to be about even throughout the tank (algae on the gravel more than debris, but evenly distributed).

It sounds like I am likely okay, and will continue to vacumm the gravel and perform the weekly water changes. Thanks again for the advice.

Rob
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top