Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i have a 75 gallon with eheim 2215 and emperor 400
should i get a power head? what kind and how many should i get.
where should i place them.
thanks

·
Registered
803 Posts
i have a 75 gal tank with the ehiem 2217 and so far so good

·
Registered
803 Posts
i looked at your tank and do you still have the emporer 400?

And, a cool thing about eheim canisters is you can put the return rod on the side of the tank to get a crazy crossflow affect, it looks good with wavy plants.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya i do still have the emperor 400.
the thing is i want movent at the top. which is good now. but inbetween the 2 filters there is a pile of ****. lol always
so i was thinking of getting some power heads

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I run an Xp3 canister and an AC500 power filter in my 84g tank. I use two power heads rated at 200gph at each end of my aquarium to flow water over my substrate. They push the detritus towards the center where I have the pick ups for my filters at the back of the aquarium. This set up works well for me and most of the detritus gets filtered. The few places that the crud does gather makes it easy to clean when I do my weekly water changes and substrate vacuuming.

With a little fiddleing a well placed powerhead can keep unsightly detritus to a minimum.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well im looking for at least 1 or 2. i just dont want it to be Way to strong, so the fish cant swim through it, but i dont want it to be not strong enough that it doesnt do anything.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You don't say what kind of substrate or how much of you have in the tank. If you have a fine sand type substrate, then a smaller hydor koralia pump may be what you want. If you have gravel, you can use a larger one, but no matter what kind of flow you have, you almost always wind up with a bunch of muck in the gravel that only comes out with a gravel vac. I changed from gravel to sand and am using a HK 3 in my 100g tank, gives a great cross flow, but since it is a sand substrate, I point it at the upper part of the front window for both cross current and it moves the sand from the front window only mimimally. I also have a maxijet 1200 powerhead in the tank for the extra mechanical filtration on the sponge intake. The HK pumps move a lot of water, and have a low current use. Check the review section... http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews/vi ... hp?id=1213

1 - 7 of 7 Posts