Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, i am worried about my juvenile texas cichlids. they are now about 12 weeks old, maybe 10 weeks, somewhere in there.
anyhow, they are in a 40 gallon long by themselves, eating well with fat bellies and good poop. every week i seem to lose two of them on average.
so i guess i am wondering is this normal? do i have a parasite?
can i treat them at this age and with what?
as far as water, there are no trites or amonia, nitrates hit maybe 20 to 30 tops. i do a 50% water change weekly trying to keep them healthy.
i had kenyi and auratus brreding like crazy and had a 55 gallon packed full and hardly lost one. something justy doesnt seem right...

·
Registered
18 Posts
You say that they are eating, but do you have any idea if the ones that are dying are also eating? I had a bloat problem in my juvenile tank recently and finally got it under control, but I was seeming to have a new fish get sick every few days one right after the next kinda like you're describing. All the rest were eating great and looked very healthy, but all of a sudden the ones that would get sick would just stop eating and hang out at the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is really hard to tell. there are about 200 of them to watch. but they all seem to eat. i use a mixture of fry food, baby brine, and crushed items. i watch them in the morning and they all look fine and are swimming pretty well. then later, one will be dead. if it is bloat, what can i do? i have never had a bloat problem with other fry.
maybe they need a special diet.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one more dead this morning and three when i returned from work. i hate watching them die off.
can i treat them with a general parasite killer?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you are worried that you have a disease in the tank and it's not another reason, then you could probably just start treating with some metronidazole. It's relatively safe to healthy fish as long as you're not using crazy doses. You may want to mix it in with the food you're feeding as well since most are eating healthily.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Let's rule out water chemistry first before medicating.
Water temp and is it stable? What's the pH and is it different prior to and after a water change?
What size are they?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have had auratus, kenyi, acei, and jack dempsey fry before. none have died off like this.
i just moved them all to a bare tank to better maintain the tank.
the water ph is 7.6
the water is that way from my tap. the water temp is maintained with heater and checked often with a digital thermometer. the temp was at 80. this is from all my heaters being that way during fish moving in and out of a larger tank while it was being salted and heated for other reasons. that was an ich story from over a year ago with loaches. anyway, the temp is and has been about 78 for the past 6 weeks.
i match the water temp in all of my aquariums with water changes by 1 or 2 degrees. always pretty thurough about it.
the fish are now between .5 and .75 inches.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lost FIVE more in the last 24 hours. what the heck could it be? any ideas or anything i can try to fight this? at this point it cant be any worse than the way they are dieing off. i am starting to feel like i need to cull the whole group.
maybe i should try seperating the larger healthier looking ones. but then again, those die too out of the blue. this is bad.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Difficult to diagnose or treat when there are no physical symptoms. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience to compare with your texas cichlid juvies.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i did catch one on his way out. he was listless, just kind of floating with the current, still breathing and kind of swimming. dont know if that helps

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bringing this subject up again with new fish having the same problem.
i gave the texas to a lfs in hopes they could treat and maybe keep some alive. they all eventually died off.

at this time, i have macaw cichlids. they have spawned about 150 fry and this same problem is starting to happen with them. they all seem to eat well and are eager for food, but they are dieing off slowly.

for this to be a parasite is unlikely since this has happened with two seperate species for me. and the father ate a few that were nearing death and passed them with no effects on him.

ph 7.6
nitrite and ammonia 0
nitrates fluctuate with water changes but not usually over 30ish

i am stating to wonder if diet can play a role in these fish dieing. is there something special with CA cichlids? diet or water chemistry

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well... i added coppersafe two weeks ago. and like magic, i have no more dead fish.
so i am guessing i had some kind of parasite.
yay! i saved a good 30 macaws!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts