Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rainbow cichlid used to own the 29 gallon tank and went everywhere he wanted. I added a new convict (f) two months ago and even though she's small she grew quickly and has laid claim to half of the tank. My rainbow has been black ever since and attacks the convict every two minutes, all day, every day. Yesterday I wanted to give him a little more space and removed a large plastic plant from his half of the tank and he went crazy. He was vibrating constantly, started scooping up sand and spitting it out and would even bite the rocks in his cave. I have seen him vibrate before, but this was something different. He seemed like he was having a complete melt down. When I put the plant back, he even bit me. Am I reading too much into this, or did this fish throw a fit?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. No other fish in the tank and the rainbow attacks the convict all the time so I'm not so sure about the amourous intentions. It's behaviour was just very strange and I hadn't seen it before in a fish. The more time I spend with that fish the more I think it's the most aggressive convict I have ever seen. It tries to bite me every time I put my hand in the tank now. Every single time. Never had that before. Weird fish.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured as much so today I bought a 40 gallon breeder which has an 80% bigger footprint. The convict is a female (they top out at about 4") and the rainbow cichlid is a fully grown male (about 4"). Just wondering what else (any more convicts possible?) if anything I could add to the 40 breeder to make things more interesting. My primary concern is the health and comfort of the fish so if you don't think adding anything more is the best option, then I'll stick with what I have. I REALLY like those two fish so I don't want to overcrowd. Thanks for your help by the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts