Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forum;

My 55g tank (which was long-time stable) has now been without fish for a few months...but I kept HOB filters operating, so filter material was wet and water cycling the entire time. The only thing growing in tank is bluegreen algae...and that abundantly! I am ready to repopulate with fish...can I just do a cleanup and tank maintenance and add new fish (probably juripari) or do I need to do a new cycle...so I guess the question is: Do nitrifying bacteria just go dormant when they have no fish waste to process?

Thanks for any responses and Cheers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
No, the beneficial Ammonia and Nitrite consuming bacteria in your filtration system will not go 'dormant' without fish. Without fish, and a steady supply Ammonia/Nitrite produced by them to consume, the numbers of bacteria will decline to match the amount of food available to consume. With the prodigious amount of blue/green algae you mention is in the tank now... that will have actually helped to maintain some numbers of those beneficial bacteria. The algae have a life-cycle as well - and decomposition of their microscopic little bodies will release small amounts of ammonia/nitrite into the aquarium - helping to feed your beneficial bacteria.
So, in answer to your question?
I believe you just need to grow out more of the beneficial bacteria that you have in the filtration system now. An excellent way to do that, would be to perform a modified, 'fish-less cycling' procedure for your aquarium, using small doses of ammonia that you add to the tank, followed by testing and water changes. That process will replicate the fish numbers you are looking to re-stock the tank with. And is done without having actual fish in the tank to endure the cycling process required to grow out the numbers of beneficial bacteria to keep up with the eventual fish bio-load you plan to stock with.
Does that make sense? :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Ronzo said:
Forum;

My 55g tank (which was long-time stable) has now been without fish for a few months...but I kept HOB filters operating, so filter material was wet and water cycling the entire time. The only thing growing in tank is bluegreen algae...and that abundantly! I am ready to repopulate with fish...can I just do a cleanup and tank maintenance and add new fish (probably juripari) or do I need to do a new cycle...so I guess the question is: Do nitrifying bacteria just go dormant when they have no fish waste to process?

Thanks for any responses and Cheers
Your beneficial bacteria will be just fine as proven by universities, and now professional chemists with their own web sites https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/2 ... -bacteria/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Cichlidude said:
Ronzo said:
Forum;

My 55g tank (which was long-time stable) has now been without fish for a few months...but I kept HOB filters operating, so filter material was wet and water cycling the entire time. The only thing growing in tank is bluegreen algae...and that abundantly! I am ready to repopulate with fish...can I just do a cleanup and tank maintenance and add new fish (probably juripari) or do I need to do a new cycle...so I guess the question is: Do nitrifying bacteria just go dormant when they have no fish waste to process?

Thanks for any responses and Cheers
Your beneficial bacteria will be just fine as proven by universities, and now professional chemists with their own web sites https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/2 ... -bacteria/
Excellent infos and website, thank you !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Cichlidude, that page has challenged nearly everything I 'know' about bacteria and filtration. Thanks for posting it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forum;

I have yet to read and digest the info at link, but I plan to. Thanks guys for responses!

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Regarding AquariumScience.Org - I agree, this is absolutely the best website on fish keeping I've ever found. Great explanations all tied to actual peer reviewed studies. I found it in November of last year, and shifted everything I was doing. I'm showing great results. I have hesitated to share because in some ways it's akin to telling folks who have been in the hobby for years "Everything you know is wrong." It is absolutely NOT my intention to be combative.

But, I embraced it for myself and removed all the ceramic media from all my systems and replace it with either sponge, pot scrubbies, or K1 media depending on what I had on hand and happened to be testing when I set up that canister. All the ceramic media I had is going to be used in HOBs as "aquaponic" planting media (Fancy pothos planters :) ).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
SenorStrum, aquariumscience.org is an utterly ridiculous site full of rubbish that will only harm your fish. It is not peer reviewed. He doesn't give any links to all these supposed papers he mentions (which do not exist), and he prefers the word of his friends to the hundreds of years of proven science. Just about everything that site says is complete bull****.

GH is irrelevant, you don't need to acclimatise fish because pH shock doesn't exist, white spot (ich) is unaffected by heat, and adding a lot of fish at once will not produce an ammonia spike. These are just a few of the ridiculous claims he makes, just from a quick skim of a few sections.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
No links are given because that would be advertisement and the author does not want any of this. All his links you can cut and paste into google just like he tells you too. Just post any site where more verifiable data is given and proved correct. He is right that you suffer from Belief Perseverance Effect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Cichlidude how is posting a link to a scientific paper advertising? His information is contradicted by the whole body of scientific knowledge so far. If you can't see that very quickly I feel sorry for you. Im afraid you've fallen for it hook line and sinker. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Just point to your 'scientific' knowledge with proof from degreed chemist, universities or government studies. No web sites, no sites that sell anything and no armchair aquarists.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,494 Posts
I am surprised to hear some of this...didn't even look at the link. Can you explain more? Am I behind in my reading, new developments?

Ichthys said:
GH is irrelevant,
It is a measure of hardness, is it not? Maybe not a key parameter, but of some interest.

Ichthys said:
you don't need to acclimatise fish because pH shock doesn't exist,
Agree with not acclimatising fish if pH is close, but when I failed to make it so one time, the new fish lay on the bottom with stress bars for hours until they adjusted. I assumed that was pH shock?

Ichthys said:
white spot (ich) is unaffected by heat,
I thought the heat made the parasite grow faster and the fish recover faster?

Ichthys said:
adding a lot of fish at once will not produce an ammonia spike.
If there is not enough beneficial bacteria to "eat" the ammonia, wouldn't adding a lot of fish at once would produce ammonia (urine and breathing) with not enough bacteria to process it?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top