Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has ever noticed an increase in their tanks ph after adding cichlid stones? Just to be clear I'm referring to the hollow ceramic ones that can be purchased. I've got nothing left in my tank but PFS and cichlid stones for decor and my tanks ph is consistently testing higher than my tap water. I'm thinking it must be the stones buffering the water somehow but thought it best to ask. My tap has a steady ph of 7.6 and I'd love to get my tank to match that so I could do large water changes without stressing my fish but before I do a water change my tanks ph is up to 8.2-8.4?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've used cichlid stones for over three years and have not noticed any issue with the PH. Being ceramic, I don't see how they would affect the PH.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply 748johnd. I never suspected the stones until I was able to rule out the sand as the cause. I took some of my pool filter sand that was leftover and partially filled a water bottle with it and then filled it up with water from the tap. I let the bottle sit a few days then tested the ph of the water in the bottle and the ph reading is exactly the same as I get from the tap. So at this point I'm puzzled :-? .

·
Registered
482 Posts
Get a cup and an air pump or something in it to keep the water moving,needs to be open cup so the gases ins the water escape why it raises the ph

My water comes out of the tap at 8ish and if I let it sit goes up to 8.4

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a cup and an air pump or something in it to keep the water moving,needs to be open cup so the gases ins the water escape why it raises the ph
Thanks for the suggestion Frazee86. I do have a little pump and a air stone I could use so I'll try that. I'll run the air stone in some tap water overnight and test again tomorrow. I'll report back if there was any change or not.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Do the same thing with a cichlid stone and you can rule that out too.

What happens when you leave your tap water out in a bowl on the counter for 24 hours and then test the pH?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I filled a pitcher with my tap water and left a air stone running in it for 24hrs and retested the ph. Wow, the reading was back up to 8.4 the same level my tank reaches before a water change. I feel a little foolish that I've been in the hobby for a few years and never new my water was fluctuating on it's own like this. I always assumed it was something in my tank buffering the water. What an eye opener. Thanks everyone for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts