Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm new here is my first post, but I question. I'm starting to set up a 29gl tank, and I'm wondering if South Americans ( or central) can be placed with African cichlids? I know their water chemistries are little different. I have a Texas cichlids at the moment, I wanted to add some African cichlids, and I just want to make sure they're compatible water wise.

Thanks!!! :fish:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You won't have enough room for the Texas alone so I wouldn't add more but if u MUST water wise they're fine but u WILL have dead fishes

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
A lot of fish - especially tank raised ones - will do fine in regular tap water, but fish still have different temperaments and different food requirements. You don't want to put super aggressive ones in a tank with very peaceful ones, and you don't want to put fish that can't deal with high protein food into a tank with fish that require a high protein diet. It's not so much a question of African and South American - some work well together, some don't.

Most importantly, fish won't grow to the size of the tank. Especially cichlids tend to require a certain size for their territory. If they can't claim a territory that size, they will become stressed and die.

To be able to give meaningful advice, we need to know a lot more about what types of cichlids you are planning to put into your tank. 29G is a fairly small tank for cichlids, and your options will be somewhat limited, but there are lots of fascinating cichlids that work very well in a 29G tank.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The Texas cichlids will become a problem pretty quickly in that size tank. When small they will work with some African types but not for long. If you want to go that way, it just requires a more watchful waiting and having a plan in miond for when trouble starts. I often have put fish together that will not work long term. It just requires a different mindset. Watch, wait, swap when it is required.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
PfunMo is making some good points. I just wanted to ad that the 'watch, wait, swap' concept does not just require a different mindset, but also that you have more than one tank available. We have quite a few users who maintain fish rooms with dozens of tanks. In a setup like that it is not a big deal to put some fish together even if it's just to see how that combination might work out. If you have just one 29G in the living room with no place to go for any fish that are harassed by more aggressive specimen, you are in a very different situation that demands a far more conservative approach to stocking.

·
Registered
623 Posts
About a year back I grew out a fire mouth and Texas cichlid in my African tank to about 6-7 inches. It was only temporary to get some size so someone could then put them with their Oscar. A 29 gallon is too small. I would recommend smaller species.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I raise fish for the fun of it, no other reason. As such I often run into the argument that I give/sell fish way too cheap. My thinking is very simple. Either I want the fish and he is of value or I don't want the fish and a cheaper price is required. When I find I'm overstocked or a fish is trouble, I don't flinch at all at taking it to any store or if not that, simply giving it away. One has to be in a pretty remote area to not be able to find a taker----if the price is right. Where the hangup comes in is when people want what the fish is WORTH. What too many people seem to do is not think in advance and have a plan to get rid of fish. Delaying and waiting till next week will certainly get us in trouble with any stocking problems. If I had a fish that was going to kill other fish, I would not rule out a good whack in the head if there were no other options.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am one who has had SA CA and African cichlids all in one tank witch i did not have any problems with the agression was good never had any problems inless teh convicts were breading they were the most agressive out of my tank. i had sa ca and africans in teh same tank for over 2 years. and eveyone sad they would not THRIVE but they did just fine the colors were great they were healthy i had good quality water the ph i used was 8.0 or around there temp of the water was 78 to 82 and all the fish injoyed i did however after they start getting bigger they started to get more teritorial to the invironment but nun the less seamed to thrive well when i got the funds i bought a nother fish tank and i split the africans into there own tank i do not notice that they are any more happy then they were mixed togheater infact now my yellow lab seems to be depressed that he does not have his jack dempsety friend. Sorry about the spelling and grammer errors i cannot find a spell check =/ i will post a pic after this post as it wont let me before 1 post lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
even tho i had good luck mixing the two i now after knowing more about fish would recomend eather go Africans or sa or ca dont mix them :) inless you go with jewel cichlids they do well with CA fish and the water conditions

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Gnuggets your tank is way way too croweded

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
jd lover said:
Uh... :roll:

You can't see the ends of the tank. There could very well be another 5' on either side of that shot. Just because all the fish are concentrated in one place doesn't mean it's overcrowded.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
To me, the picture is an example of what I said. There is a wide range of fish, they are all happy as clams, no torn fins showing, nobody with their fins down indicating stress, good color and just waiting for food! That does not mean it will work long term but is the onwer enjoying the fish as they are now? Most likely. Can he change it, if / when it becomes a problem? I bet there is somebody in NJ would love to have some fish. Keeping an open mind is a good way to sort out what fish you really like. Reading about what somebody else likes is not nearly as good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the help! I thought i had This set up to email me when a got a response :p. I Need ti invest in a larger tank very soon, i'm hoping to get a 75 for my texas. I will differently keep him by himself for now, and at some point during the summer i can give him a bigger tank.

What would you recommend for a 29Gl Tank? should i have sticked more with a few africans?

Thanks!!http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/images/smiles/fish_swimming.gif

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
U guys are right I don't know his tank but chances are its pretty well crowded but like someone said the fish are happy so ill let it be but as for the op for a 29g I would suggest a pair of convicts great fish and u won't ever need feeders ever lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've never had convicts. Would a pair of them fit in a 29 gallon tank?

·
Registered
69 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
jd lover said:
Uh... :roll:

You can't see the ends of the tank. There could very well be another 5' on either side of that shot. Just because all the fish are concentrated in one place doesn't mean it's overcrowded.
+1

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Convicts are one of those fish that can be easy to love or easy to hate. They don't get huge and they can work fine in a 29 gallon. If you have a pair and they begin to breed they can be a true experience. Everybody should do it a few times just for the experience. But at the same time they can be a nightmare if things are not right. If they begin to breed, they may clear all the other fish in the tank. My plan would be to get a group of three small convicts if that is what you like and then whether you want to have other fish with them or not would depend on how you want to operate. If you want a more full looking tank, get some other fish and just keep a watchful eye open for what might happen. It will not be a sudden thing if trouble starts. If you begin to see some of the fish being chased too much or hiding and hanging in the corners, etc. then you will need to decide if you want to keep them or the convicts. Most times in most places there are ways to get rid of fish that no longer serve for your purpose. Just do it before the real trouble hits. Just don't fall into the trap of loving all your fish and assuming they will all love each other. Doesn't work that way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts