Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So because i am not made of money i would like to build an algae killer; if i could get some input on how to do this i appreciate the help.

·
Registered
625 Posts
What kind of filter do you use? If you have a sump or canister all you need would be something 3" diameter PVC with one opening choking down to your return tube length and hole in the side near the other end to leave to return to the tank.

With the side still open you'd put a clear tube bigger than your CF light and seal the edges to make it water tight. Then just hide all the wiring in a threaded cap for the top. It might not look pretty but that's how I would do it if I didn't get mine for 20 bucks at a pet store going out of business sale.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I feel like my proposed idea would work better with the sump, but would work on the 305 if you wanted to make more.

If you move forward with this please start a new thread or keep this one alive, I would very much like to see how this ends up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I looked into making a diy uv filter. IMO it's not worth the hassle. I love diy and have spent more on some projects than just buying a premade product.

With the uv light safety was the biggest hold up. It can't leak light or it can be bad on you and/or your fish. Plastic and glass choices are limited because of uvc's properties. Parts are not difficult to find but are pricey. If you do go diy I would love to see what you come up with, I love seeing peoples solutions to problems.

My idea was a clear tube surrounded by uv lights. A aquarts tube alone is pretty pricey.

I ended up going to petsmart and buying a greenkilling machine for 50ish. Ran it for 2 weeks, water was clear after 5 days. Now it's in the Cubard. If you want a inline light I've seen them with pond supplies for around 80-100. Simply splitting the return flow and using a ball valve would be sufficent to plumb it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.