Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - *** bought some modelling clay with the idea that i was going to make some catfish caves out of it!
Has anybody used this before - will it pollute the water ?

I let my first one dry out for over a week , i went to wash it just before i put it in the tank and it turned my hands a clay red color . It was easy to wash off but....... not so sure about putting it in the tank now ?

What have you used ? and how did it turn out?

These caves were for leopard frog plecs that im trying to breed!

Terry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No im not sure- Its basic modelling clay. I havent put it in yet and dont want to as i wasnt expecting it to dissolve lol
Im wondering though if i could paint it with some sort of paint to seal it ??
If so it would be really handy stuff!

·
Registered
369 Posts
something i have done in the past is used various sizes of flowerpots and then covered them with silicone and rolled them in aquarium gravel.

I think you could paint them in some manner. you'd have to be certain that it's a "safe" paint.

again not an expert just thinking

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'd say paint them in clear epoxy, pretty much all over. That seals in everything. Be very thorough. This should prevent any disaster in the face of an unknown thingy.

Plain modelling clay can mean a great many things, from potters clay (unfired it will 'melt' and form part of your substrate - even more likely it will cloud your water since the small clay particles say suspended in water) to das pronto brand clay (that's my favourite for modelling) that comes in brown and white. That will leach clay particles as well. Read your clay package and list the contents, then help might be more forthcoming.

Most store bought clays contain some preservatives and/or fungicides, even if they say non-toxic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi nina thanks - ok most of the info is in other languages. but i only speak english - so heres what i can get off the packaging
Front- DAS Modelling Material
Side- DAS Terracotta, modelling material - air hardening

It looks exactly like a block of clay
The only other information it gives in english is to keep unused das in a plastic bag- it doesnt say anything about additives or chemicals or what makes the clay up

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ah, I thought so.

Das will leach into your water. It eventually dissolves all the way. In many ways, it's just like unfired clay - sometimes it can last for thousands of years, but chances are you're in a dessert then :lol:
Das also contains some preservatives and a hardening agent, but nothing too serious.

The good thing is it won't harm anything, because the leaching is small clay particles. The bad thing is that it decreases oxygen and visibility.

Clear epoxy is a good sealant. Otherwise, if you're willing to let it soak in a bucket for a time, coating it all over with cement (like for DIY backgrounds) should be fine.
Just be very thorough, the exposed bits will leach.

(I have a background in African archaeology (potsherds all the way) and art, which is where I get this from)

If you do epoxy coat it, and it works, let us know (post pics too :popcorn: ). I've been toying with the idea of sculpting me a cave system for my tank as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nina thanks for the advice-
Im going to get some clear epoxy and that should be me set - I'll put some pics on of the end result

·
Registered
554 Posts
no worries, looking forward to seeing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts