Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I say DIY I mean GSEI (get someone else in), LFS will build the tank, I don't really trust joiners, sorry, I used to work in a sawmill and supplied lots of joinery materials, apart from that I don't really trust wood. It has been suggested to me to get a stainless steel stand made up, I was thinking of a ractangular box frame with horizontal struts going from front to back on the top and bottom, then using some ply , mdf, or conti on the top.
Think this would work ? Can anyone see any problems or has anyone here built a stand, can you show me some pics. top see what I should be aiming for ?
Tank size will be 60"x18"x18" :dancing:
Any feedback appreciated :thumb:
:fish:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Hummm! We are on different tracks but I can speak to what (I) would do. Stainless would be too expensive for my taste. But then you might like it, so another word. Shy away from MDF around any water. Multi Density Fiberboard is basically ground fiber dust glued together. Any water that soaks in will bubble it terribly. Other than that , I would suggest a search here on the forum for DIY stands. There are quite a lot to look over. Mostly wood but they might give some input on how to construct. Most settle on a 2X4 top frame with 2X4 corner posts directly under the frame so that the weight sets on the ends of the posts with a bottom frame of 2X4. Over that plywood is often used to "skin" the frame. No fancy work needed. Quite simple and with screws so they don't pull out and glue to make it extra sturdy, they work out quite cheap and last a long time. It gives lots of options for finish colors, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts