Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm planning on doing a slate background, and have some quick questions. First, the background itself, what do I silicone the slate to? I've heard PVC boards, any other ideas? Silicone wise, what do you recommend? I know everyone likes the G.E. I stuff, but if I can't find that, any other recommendations? Also, so I'm in no hurry, how long should I let it dry for? The bottle I had (of some no name stuff) said 48 hours, would that be sufficient? Thanks in advance,

Cory

·
Registered
521 Posts
Use only 100% silicone. Let it cure for the full amount of time suggested on the label. You will know when it is fully cured when the vinegar smell is gone. I assume you want it to be removable or set out from the back of the tank? Otherwise you could just silicone it directly to the tank.

As an alternative to silicone you could mechanicaly fasten the slate to a piece of acrylic sheet. I would try 1/2" thick acrylic and stainless steel screws. Drill into the slate with a masonary bit and install those little plastic expanding drywall anchors. Check out this therad for a similar application:http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=160401

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
I would not use silicone. It is done a lot, and always looks poorly done, since it rarely holds up. Even the best does not stick dependably to slate or to acrylic. Someone gave me some slate caves they had siliconed together using silicone and they did a very professional job with them, but out of all of them, only one stayed together for long.

I would use waterfall pond foam. It is designed to stick to rocks and stuff you would find in a pond, all similar to aquarium items -glass, plastics, acrylic, etc. When dry, it looks a lot like slate, so if some shows, it will be hard to spot instead of a glaring sore thumb. If you make the foam about half an inch thick, you can easily cut it out later. Foaming the rock to acrylic sheet would work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts