Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any step by steps instructions (preferably with pictures) on how to build a siphon? I looked into the DIY section here and it calls for a water bed drain kit found at wal-mart. Well, I asked a few people there if they have it in stock and none said that they even knew what it was. I hoping someone here constructed there's out of parts that are regularly found at any hardware store.
Thank in advance...

·
Registered
59 Posts
We havent had waterbed syphon kits at the walmarts around here in a long time. all it really is is pvc pipe and vinyl tubing though. though if the total parts come up to more than... I think it's $35 you'ld be better off buying the syphons that are for sale at walmart.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I tried doing this a while back. I bought the Python valve piece that attached to the sink and was gonna get the rest of the parts myself, thus saving money. The problem I ran into was the faucet had fine threads and the Python valve had the regular larger threads so I wouldn't work. I went to 3 different pluming supply stores to get an an adapter and could not find one. I finally got pissed off and gave up. :lol:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I bought a 50ft garden hose and a shut off valve for each end. I also bought an adapter for the kitchen faucet to allow the hose to screw on. When I want to vacuum the tank, I hook up the hose to the sink and fill it with water, shut off both valves and then take the female end outside and open the valve on that end. Then I put the other end in the tank, open that valve and begin vacuuming. When done I put the female end back on the faucet, turn the water on and adjust the temperature as the water from the other end flows into the sink. Once the temp is right, I close the valve, add Prime to the tank and then open the valve to fill the tank. This has worked great for me even when there was snow on the ground. Lost a little heat with the door being cracked, but not too much. If you must have the waterbed gizmo, look at bed stores. I found one there and they were only $5. It sits unused in a drawer.

Hope this helps,
Jman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts