Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the correct section, so if not Mods please feel free to move it..

Yesterday i made another batch of my homemade fish food and i thought i might share it with you in case anyone else wanted to give it a try.

I defrosted some cheap white fish fillets and some frozen prawns before blitzing them in the food processor and then put them into my big mixing bowl.

I then blanched some frozen peas in boiling water before blitzing them up with a few cloves of garlic and a heavy helping of paprika, this mixture was added to my bowl of mushy fish along with a tin or 2 of tuna.

I then blitzed up a couple of good sized handfuls of spirulina flake food with any flake/crisp/freeze dried fish food i had left over in the cupboard and again added to the mixing bowl.

The completed mixture was then passed through the blender for a final time to ensure thorough mixing and all the lumps were broken up. It was then put into seal able food bags which i rolled out flat to a thickness of about 5-10mm and placed into the freezer.

The next day when the mixture was completely frozen i removed it from the food bags and cut it up into 10mm x 10mm sized squares before popping back into the freezer in a plastic box, it is now ready for use.

I was a little concerned the first time i used this recipe about defrosting and refreezing prawns, fish fillets etc but i have used mixtures like this and similar including beefheart for over 12months now without any obvious problems. All my fish show a good appetite, growth and colours. In fact *** just seen one of my bristlenose's on top of a lump of food munching away like mad, normally i hardly see them during the day so he must like it.

*** not included any weights in the recipe as i didnt measure anything, i just used what i had to hand from the freezer. Just make sure you use a decent sized helping of prawns as there is something in them that makes the whole mixture bind together and stops it going all over the tank.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have done a similar mixture with fresh salmon and veggies. Fyi you can buy powdered spirulina algae at GNC or similar vitamin stores. The flakes were probably only 10-20% algae. My only problem was the food clouding the water, and even if I added the gelatin it didn't quite set right.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*** found that plenty of prawns make the food stick together and stops it clouding the tank,
the flakes i have are imported from Germany and are almost 100% spirulina but when these are gone i'll be buying the powdered spirulina from a health food chain we have over here in the UK.

something i read though was to not use any freshwater fish in food for freshwater fish and likewise the same for saltwater fish. i dont know how much truth is in it though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have no idea.. like i said i have no idea if its true or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts