Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone wanting a moon light and not wanting to do any work will love this. I bought a blue LED night light with a photo cell, and an 6' extention cord. I removed the clear reflector from the night light and turned it upside down so that it shines down into the tank. I works great for the price. Does have a little bit of the spot light effect, but for the money I am not dissapointed. Plus it turns itself off when the main light comes on. If anyone chimes in wanting a night picture I can get one.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the night light at walmart for a little over $2 and a 6' extension cord for $1.75. I have to wait for night for pictures.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It's been dark for an hour :zz:
:lol: Just kidding.
I like the spotlight effect for moonlights, gives you ripples if placed right.
Wondering, do these have screws where ya can disassemble and solder the cord internally?
To make it a lower profile?

Or. . .I've used an led from a flashlight before, but had to use an inverter on it. Wanted to brighten it one day, used a bigger inverter, worked great for about 5 seconds. Already have a light strip housing with holes I could use for wiring and mounting. . . All I gotta do is bust it up, heck $2.00 ya cant beat that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can see the night light siting on the top, the circle in it is the photo sensor.

·
Registered
90 Posts
brycerb i took your idea and added to it.
Since my light doesnt extended to the ends of the hood. i drilled a 1/4 hole at either end and hot glued the night lights over the hole so just the LED was sticking out. than i glued some tin foil to the under side of the hood to help reflect the light downward. I picked up a few plug ends and lamp cord from HD and made my own cord.
the glass under the hood protects the LED from water damage and the hot glue can be removed easily if one goes out.
Now i have some fantasic moon lighting and can enjoy seeing my Striped Raphael swimming about and eating. if anyone would like to see pictures of it let me know and i will try and take some.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i will try to take one tongiht. my camera is not the greatest so dont know how it will come out.
but will definately take a pic of the back of the hood

·
Registered
90 Posts
please excuse the poor quality pictures
when i get a hold of a better camera i will take a couple again

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you had it pointed strait down, it would light all the way to the bottom. The tank mine is sitting on is a 55 gallon, about a foot tall and the light easily makes it to the bottom. I am thinking of trying to take the light apart and see if I cant get it to sit inside my day light, maybe even hard wire it into it. Not sure how well it will come apart, but I will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The water is also little cloudy been trying hard to get it cleared up.
the light does make it all the way to the bottom on both sides but the picture quality sucks for night pics

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had to go to the store itself to find them. and wasnt easy in the store either. in the section with all the other nightlights look for the ones that say LED in top right corner on package. down lower you will see it says blue. it has a white base and a clear cover that is about 3 inches long. make sure you find the blue ones they have it in white and red also. or look for the price. i believe they were $2.68 or $2.88 for a single nightlight

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.