Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it was pointed out to me that there is a fair amount of potential for water to bypass the filter media on my cascade 1200

so i had an idea to find a gasket to fit between the top basket and the side of the canister to block the bypass. I found this, not sure what it was made for but it is a plastic material that is not degrading.

then cut to length and fit around the top basket, it is much simpler to place around the basket and then slide down to fit as it squeeze the gasket.

after you are done it will look like this

I am not sure if this would work for other types of filters but it certainly did seem to work well for mine. I would be interested in seeing if this theory works on other types of canister filters.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Looks like a good idea. Probably reduce flow some but takes bypass out of the equation. And now when you see a significant flow reduction you'll know why. Hope it works as planned.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That is why I love the Eheim Classic series filters. The water enters the filter at the bottom of the canister. I do not know why they started making filters that have water entering at the top. Maybe because it was popular for some.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's called backer bead. It's used to stuff expansion joints in concrete and a self leveling ureathane is put on top. Good stuff I use it all the time in this hobby. Great ideal!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts