Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I visited the San Antonio Zoo and was absolutely blown away by their africa live exhibit which showcases a multitude of african cichlids in absolutely amazing tank setups. After the trip I went home and realized that as natural as my tank looked, its "natural" look was ruined by the intake valves of my filter, the heater, the thermometer, and everything else that is crucial for life in my tank. After some sketches, I have begun building a hood that covers about 4'' of the tank all around (also to hide some nasty scratches and impossible to clean hard water stains and to also prevent my wife from having to refill the tank from its constant evaporation while I am away from work). So far, everything is going well, here is a couple of pics of what my set up looks like. I still need to make the hinge and bracing for my light (48" coralife PC) which will be mounted to the hinge, along with the moonlights which are coming in Monday. I also need to put more wooden blocks to stabilize the unit.

Here are two pictures of the front view and how it is held up in the tank (needs more blocks lol)

I will have more pics tomorrow! Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Im painting it black to match the rim and the stand!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Looks great :thumb: . You might want to put a couple of feeding doors on the front or 1 big door. I got tired of picking up my hinged top to feed the fish 2 times a day. I also did water changes thru the doors.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Mind telling me how you did that?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Are you planning on adding some kind of lip on the back to keep the hood from being pulled forward off the tank? Other than that, good start. :thumb:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finished the construction, now time to paint it after the caulk dries!

Hope you guys like it! Tomorrow I'm installing the moonlights and then when the paint dries It'll go on my tank! I'll keep yall updated!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Looks good from here. :D

Small note or warning- I like to wait until the paint smell is pretty well gone. I'm kind of paranoid about trapping fumes over the tank. Not sure what the fish might think of that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks! One question though, has anyone had any luck painting hinges?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts