Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started my first 3d background...and *** got to say this is awful haha... i decided to do just one section to see how its gonna look before I waste too much time and it be awful... I'm almost half tempted to pay for someone to make me one lol cause *** seen some really nice ones on here and so far i dont think mines gonna be anywhere close to being like some *** seen... i think i need to include some caves and stuff in my background but who knows... i need suggestions on how to shape/form rocks out of styrafoam... lol its getting the better of me :x

·
Registered
441 Posts
These backgrounds are not for the impatient hobbyist they take quite a bit of overall work time as well as waiting for them to cure.

Using drylok instead of cement will help in terms of curing time and wont spike the waters ph.

as far as carving goes i use two methods.

1st make styro blocks by siliconing sheets of styro together and then carve out inndividual rocks from each styro block. basically ,make styro rocks in different shapes and sizes. I then silicon each individual rock to the glass. this works best for me.

2nd cut sheets of styro to fit the background then carve inward creating a rock wall.make sure to also cut spots for intake and heaters

I use a serrated knife for most of my cutting and a heated knife for detail work

·
Registered
410 Posts
I found that Gorilla Glue holds styro stronger and faster than does silicone, but it does "foam" and expand a little bit. Still use plenty of silicone to adhere the BG to the back and bottom of the tank. Good Luck!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys have a question... has anyone tried this... after glueing "rocks" together (stacking styrafoam and glueing) has anyone tried using a Drimmel tool to shape the rocks instead of a knife? would it work? whats the difficulty of doing it? also how long should i let the silicone dry before i start shaping?

·
Registered
32 Posts
A dremmel works well but it creates a bigger mess lots and lots of fine dust and styro particals. I taped the end of my shop vac to my sander and my dremmel it helped alot but the stuff gets everywhere i did mine in my kitchen the first time eneded up everywhere after that i did it in my spare room and covered up my air vents to keep the mess contained

As for silicone i would say wait 24hrs befor doing work and 4 or 6 days after dry-lok fianl coat

does anyone know if the menards knock off of latex based masonary sealent will work as well as drylok?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.