Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am attempting a 3d background.. I have completed the styrofoam mold, but wondering what to paint it with.. I got some quikrete 30 min mix that I planned on using with latex paint. I read about using marine grade epoxy resin, and thought it was a good idea, but called the manufacturer and they said that the resin would seep more contaminents than the concrete by itself. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also Im planning on using magnets to hold it up.. I am only making an approx. 8"x8" shelf-like piece to start. I have pregnated it with magnets hoping they work..

Yay? Nay?

Making sure im not wasting my time...
Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I think the common best practice these days is to forgo using any concrete at all and just "paint" the styrofoam with something like drylok. That way, you don't have to wait for the concrete to cure. Magnets should work if they're strong enough. Styro can shoot out of a tank with a lot of force if not properly secured.

edit: forgot to add the disclaimer that I have not constructed a background ever, but I read a lot of the threads around here. I'm sure the background guru's will be along with better advice in no time.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the input.. I was hoping to add just a bit of weight with the concrete and the magnets to keep it in place. This is just a forerunner for a larger later, for this is just a shelf like structure in the middle of the column. I already started painting with the concrete. I hope it works! I plan on soaking and soaking before actually putting into the aquarium, mainly wondering if I need to seal with something, or if the set concrete is fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.