Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to make my own backgrounds for 90 Gal x 2. I have been browsing lots of videos/pics of peoples backgrounds. Love the way they look and how they hide heaters/intakes etc.

Now that you have your background in......any problems issues? Do you still love it? Are they holding together alright??

·
Registered
120 Posts
Loving mine a year later - it still looks great and visitors are always amazed that it's not real rock.

Two issues over the past year, however to note:

1st; I've had fish getting in behind the background (where the filter inlets are) and die. It's rather difficult to remove them if the inlets are narrow or circuitous. Eventually, a bent wire coat hangar worked.

2nd; My bristlenose pleco will eat algae off the background. Normally, this is good, but sometimes he'll rasp it down to a bare white spot, which I have to figure out how to cover up.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Nothing. No issues; it's not coming apart and I still like it.
One thing I would recommend, place a screen over some of the intakes. Stops fish from wedging themselves behind the BG. :wink:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
No problems with losing fish behind mine (6 years in the tank), but gobies (Eretmodus cyanostictus) and plecos have chewed through the concrete in a few places. Go thicker with your cement mix and you shouldn't have the same problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts