Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all -

I have this DIY background, coated with Drylock, that's been up and running for awhile -seen here

The problem is that I have this pleco that has chewed two portions of my DIY "rock" - leaving it bare and bright white in two spots. The portions in question are on top of an upsloping "rock" and are about quarter-sized each, about 1/2" deep. They are also 4" up from the bottom, so draining the water for a long period of time (more than a day) won't work. They are now very noticeable and detract significantly.

So, how can I fix these problem spots? Is there a safe underwater epoxy or bonding agent that I could color and fill in with the fish in the water?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Benaiah said:
Hello all -

I have this DIY background, coated with Drylock, that's been up and running for awhile -seen here

The problem is that I have this pleco that has chewed two portions of my DIY "rock" - leaving it bare and bright white in two spots. The portions in question are on top of an upsloping "rock" and are about quarter-sized each, about 1/2" deep. They are also 4" up from the bottom, so draining the water for a long period of time (more than a day) won't work. They are now very noticeable and detract significantly.

So, how can I fix these problem spots? Is there a safe underwater epoxy or bonding agent that I could color and fill in with the fish in the water?
This will sound bad but, if you can, cut off a piece larger than and including the bare spot.
You can remove it from the tank and re-paint the spot.
Once the repair is cured you can apply super glue gel to the back of the repaired piece and attach it, under water, where it came from.
Make sure it's cyanoacrylate based super glue or crazy glue etc.
From what I've read, this stuff activates quickly under water so you'll have to move fast.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a similar problem created by my tropheus colony. They seem to like to pick at it and make it even worse. I recently posted this question under "temporary background fix" and received some advice for repair.

I was told that someone else had used "QuikCrete Hydraulic Water-Stop Cement." He said it came premixed in buckets, and that he applied it underwater in a running tank with fish with no problems. I HAVE NOT tried this, and am trying to do some research on this, because in concept, it seems like a good idea, just not sure what happens during the curing process, and would love some re-assuring from others that this is a good idea. Thought I could post this here, since it would work for your problem too, if it is safe.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I know there is also aquarium safe epoxy that saltwater keepers use for gluing on corals and such. You might be able to find some in the right color, or use it to glue on a piece that is the right color.

·
Registered
117 Posts
kriskm said:
I know there is also aquarium safe epoxy that saltwater keepers use for gluing on corals and such. You might be able to find some in the right color, or use it to glue on a piece that is the right color.
its called milliput, you buy it from craft shops its more like a putty than a glue though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts