Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
C.Casaceli said:
i was thinking of using 12" wide sections along the whole back of the tank. This way i'd have essentially the entire surface area of the back of the tank to silicone the peices to. No worrys about the foam shooting up and busting my lights and stuff.

The one question i have is,
If I bend the acrylic in to a profile like
_
l l
l
l
does that back lip catch on the back of the tank or will the foam push straight up?

how did your modules on the gutter hangers function?
The success I had with the hanging modules is due to the fact that I attached the hangers to the rock face itself. The foam then becomes a kind of wedge that holds the module in place. I dont know if attaching the module (foam side) to the acrylic it self will keep it in place. I suggest you attach them to the rock face like I did. so the profile of your acrylic would be more like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

This way the foam will act like a wedge and it will stay secure, although your way might work by planting the end of you acrylic right down in to the substrate. The above way is the reason mine work the way they do. I sugest you test it before you do it on a large scale, I am interested to hear the results,I hope this helps :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
When I submited the above comment it messed up my picture of the profile. Those two lines should be at the end of the long line at the top of the picture :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I forgot to add my moonlight pictures, here they are. The moonlight was easy to make and I will be posting a DIY on it soon. The tank video is still in progress and will be done soon.

Namaste

Craig

·
Registered
31 Posts
C.Casaceli said:
mmmm Blue Moon.

Just had it for the first time a few weeks ago when the wife and I were out to dinner for our anniversary. They put half an orange slice in it at the restaurant. Went awesome with my steak.
It goes awesome with Spaghetti and Meatballs, and I also had it for the first time out to dinner with the wifey...

·
Registered
29 Posts
i too have been wanting to do or get the background like this. man good info. there doesnt seem to be a way around putting one in an already established tank huh?

·
Registered
42 Posts
the reason i want to figure out a solid way to use brackets is that my tank is already up and i don't want to drain it to glue the background on. I'm going to soak it in the bathtub and just keep draining and filling my bathtub till it doesn't affect the ph.....my wifes face will probably look something like this..... :x toooo baaaaad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your setup sounds great but all I get in place of the pictures are messages to upgrade to photo bucket pro.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I fixed it, I had so many people looking at this page that I was using to much bandwith. so I upgraded to pro the pictures should be back in now. I'm almost done with the video.

Namaste
Craig

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
A lot of people PM'ed me about the Video, I think I will have it done in a week.

Peace

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
petfishy I Pm'ed you about your old tank take a look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like the idea about hollowing out the foam, but 'm not sure I want the fish swimming around back of the background.

You could carve out the middle of each piece of foam, leaving about 3" thickness around all edges for stability. (You'd save a lot on silicone, too.) Then silicone the "ring" of foam to the slate. You wouldn't have such a buoyancy problem then, would you?

The reason I like your thick foam idea is because of the 3D depth of the background. If you used egg crate or a flat acrylic, you wouldn't get the same effect.

How deep is your tank (back to front)?

Thanks for the inspiration!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would it be possible to attach suction cups to the back of the styrofoam somehow? If you put several large ones on each rock piece, you could attach them and move them around later.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I hope someone tries the hollowed out module as you described I think it will work well especially on small modules. I think the buoyancy rule would be, the less foam the less buoyancy and leaving three inches around the edge would give you plenty to silicone to and work fine.( I would even add cement to the hollowed out part)

my tank is 24 inches back to front my biggest modules are about 7 inches thick(with rock face).

I think suction cups could work if you had big enough ones or a bunch of them. my question is what will hold the suction cups to the back of the modules? The foam might rip away, you would have to imbed them in the modules somehow.

I hope you try some of these new Ideas, and let me know how it goes!, If you have any more questions let me know

Namaste
Craig

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks, but it wasn't that much work, It was very easy to make.

peace
craig

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Has anyone tried to make these yet?Just wondering how it went?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Fishfry13 I finally found that thing on neo magnets I will email it to you, just send me your email

·
Registered
128 Posts
If we are talking about the same Back To Nature Modules (these:http://www.backtonature.se/english/index.html), there are not made in Denmark but in Sweden and the price here is $55-116. Okay, they probably costs more in the states, but $550-970? I can´t believe it. :eek: Anyway, its some absolutely great DIY modules you´ve done!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
^^couldn`t agree more.
to me it sounds like the guy you talked to on the phone got the whole currency thing mixed up.
if you change the $ sign to kr.(swedish crown) you get almost about what we pay for them here...
($1=about 6.5kr)
anyway, good job with the DIY :thumb:

Dan

21 - 40 of 87 Posts