Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An engineering buddy asked me about shelf load on my rack as it is only 2x4 construction. I did a little google hunting and came across the site below. Now you can calculate the sag of your DIY project. My rack is 60in x 12in x 72in tall and holds four 29 gallon aquariums. The bottom shelf is 18in from the floor and the next shelf is about 48in from the floor. Top "shelf" holds the power strip and air pump for the tanks.

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a picture as I know you want one

Attachments

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If the 2x4's that run horizontally are setting in notches in the vertical 2x4's, and not just screwed onto them, then they are fine. The bottom horizontal members look to be sitting in notches which works. The top ones, appear like they might be as well, though the paint (or missing paint) is throwing me off.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
With that sagulator site you linked, the thickness of the shelf ends up being the height of the 2x4's (3.5") the plywood on top if any, adds to that measurement and adds lateral stability. with roughly 600 lbs on each shelf, the deflection is 0.02" total (without any plywood).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I did dado the vertical 2x4.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts