Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was wondering has anyone tried Heavy Duty 5/8" inside Dia garden water hose as tubing for a DIY canister filter. I'm using 5/8" barb connectors for my inlets and outlets and thought; Would A Garden hose work? It's cheaper at $20 for 50' from ACE Hardware and Home Depot vs. $2.46 a foot for clear vinyl tubing. Just a Thought?
125 gal Tank
Jebao DCT 6000 water pump
5 gal 70 mil bucket from Home Depot
3/4" PVC and connectors
5/8" Vinyl Tubing or (Garden Hose)
Any feed back will be appreciated.

Thank you
20180324_164832.jpg

20180324_164854.jpg

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I use 5/8" garden hose at tubing on my DIY 2g filter in my koi pond. I have never used it inside on a tank but I can't see how it would be any different than how it works on my Koi pond.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I really hate to rain on anyone's parade who has the personal initiative to build something themselves, but there are a number of reports - including some here on this board - that the DIY 5 gallon bucket canister filters have problems with sealing and tend to leak.

Not a real big deal with an outdoor filter where a little water isn't an issue ... could be a different story inside the house though.

With Chicom canister filters of decent quality that will do 500+ gph delivered to your door running around $80 bucks, it just didn't make sense to me to pursue it further.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Garden hose is pretty thin. If you move to half inch it is super cheap for irrigation tubing but you will get less flow.

I saw a guy who made one out of a vacuum cleaner or tea container or something that had a lockable lid. Not sure of the cost though.

You can also buy replacement parts for many filters like the old marineland canisters which make a really good addition to a filter loop. So for 30 bucks you can get kind of a premade filter and then just put your own pup on it. A lot cheaper than buying a whole canister filter, but not too much more expensive than making your own once you buy the piping and hoses and stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really appreciate the replies. I like any kind of challenges with DIY projects. I have read the different reviews and see why people have come across different leakage problems. This DIY project cost me right at $28.80 minus the Pump. If it works "WIN" if it doesn't which I have taken in consideration. I have made taken extra measures to ensure no leakage. I found a heavy duty 5/8" drinking water hose that RV companies use. Let's see what happens. Wish me luck! I will post final pics.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts