Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Working on a DIY background for my new 220 gallon. Wondering if most folks silicone it all together and then cut sections to fit through the braces, or to plan ahead and not silicone the different big sections together until they are in the tank? Planning on using drylok on the foam if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Plan ahead and cut it to fit before you start siliconing anything. The way I always do mine is the start with a backboard of foam the exact size of the back of the tank. Then I will cut that usually on an angle so that the seam is not an eye sore that stands out. Then once its cut so it fits in the tank than I will start siliconing and stacking foam on the back board and start carving. I usually test fit it throughout the whole process as well just to make sure any foam "rocks" I am adding don't hinder the install/fit of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip! I have my backboard all laid out and have been shaping and cutting pieces. It's starting to look pretty decent!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is the tank glass? If so, silicone is definitely the route to go, just make sure you get the right stuff and don't be cheap with it..you will probably need more than you think, and any extra is easily removed.. if the tank is acrylic, silicone will not stick nearly as well, but it can still be done. I'm convinced there must be something that works better than silicone to secure a background to an acrylic tank, but I have not experimented yet..

Also, early in the building process you will want to plan out where any additional equipment (heaters, filters, fans, air lines, etc..) is going to be inside the tank and try to work around that. It makes it a lot easier if you have the stuff on hand so you can test fit with the equipment as you go...Everything can be easily hidden within the background if that's what you want, but keep in mind the better you hide it, the harder it will be if it needs to come out!

One more thing is to consider where your tank will be in the room. If its up against a wall like mine is, and will never be viewed through that one side, you can incorporate that into the background and make one side all rock if you want so you would never see the wall behind it...Oh, and don't just limit yourself to a "back" ground, I have "rocks" siliconed to the back, bottom, sides, and even the top glass brace of my tank has a large overhang "rock" hanging down.. :D :lol: :lol: :thumb:

here's my 7 foot 200g - I hope I am posting this pic right
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aur5xLslTfsKjnRUKEPEIBWAudF8

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tonyr3288 said:
Thanks for the tip! I have my backboard all laid out and have been shaping and cutting pieces. It's starting to look pretty decent!
I glued my foam pieces first and made it in 3 sections during construction. If you can find a way to hide the seam into your design and still get it to fit and install in your tank, then you'll be much happier with it later. I've read DIY 3D background builds on line where people made an awesome background, only to find out later that it didn't fit into the tank because of the brace. The best looking ones, IMHO, were the ones where the final installed piece looked like one unit.

Good luck and have fun on the build! Any chance you could post a pic, or perhaps when you're finished post one?

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts