Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29 gallon with 11 multies in the tank, ranging from juvie to adult. I was thinking it would be nice to have some fish take the top of the tank, and adding some fish would also let me add a pleco into the mix to help with algae control. What do you think would work as far as dithers would go? Or should I just forget it and leave the tank as is?

·
Registered
705 Posts
in my experience plecos never did make much of a dent on algae growth. have you ever thought of adding some rockery to the tank? something to house a pair of julies or something. *** seen that a lot mixed with shellies before. just my two cents

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd try adjusting lighting first. Pleco's just look out of place IMO with small cichlids. As for dithers, white clouds are a good call. Rainbows and X-Ray tetra are tolerant of hard water and look good. They are quick mind so ensure enough food gets to bottom of tank.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I grew on a group of 8 Paracyprichromis nigripinnis in with a multie colony in a 29g.
Dark overhangs for the Paracyps using slate sheets.
Great fun (both breeding) until the heater stat failed. :oops: :)

Classic answer would be a group of none jumbo Cyps but it is a squease, kind of best to get the Cyps going well in the 29g then add the multies in one corner with shells rather than the other way round. Otherwise the poor Cyps get no where to rest up for the night.

For max breeding success leave the tank as is. You should soon have too many multies for the tank and have to crop and sell or give away a few. Its the public spirited way. :wink:

Not a big fan of Plecs all they do is look horrid and replace algae with piles of poo. Personally I prefer cleaning up algae than poo.
If you must go for one, then make sure its a small bristlenose and give it a cave or coconut shell to hide under and avoid most of the multie agresson.

All the best James

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I just noticed this evening that I have at least 4 new multies in my tank :D . With this new development I don't think I am going to add any new fish the the tank. It's great to see the little guys swimming around

1 - 6 of 6 Posts