Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just wondering if it'd be unwise to toss in a few dithers in my 10g multi tank. They haven't started breeding yet (had them for less than 3 weeks) but I do want them to "colonize" when they do. So far just 6 unsexed adults (seller said at least 1m&1f,as they've bred in the past; he guessed 2m&4f). Would anything be suitable to add?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Once they get going then you will have to cull (or remove and sell) in any case otherwise they will overpopulate a 10g.
Sort term you could add a small group of Zebra danios or other small dither. They will prob want removing once the multies get going though.

All the best James

·
Registered
509 Posts
James, your reply cracks me up :lol:

edit: zebra danios and rasboras have similar water requirements.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Scientific Name: Danio rerio
Family: Cyprinidae
Origin: Eastern India
Adult Size: 2 inches (6 cm)
Social: Peaceful, suitable for community tanks
Lifespan: 5 years
Tank Level: All levels
Minimum Tank Size: 5 gallon
Diet: Omnivore, eats most foods
Breeding: Egglayer
Care: Easy
pH: 6.5 - 8.6
Hardness: 5-20 dGH
Temperature: 64-76 F (18-26 C)

Harlequin rasabora. The fish will live in an aquarium in waters ranging from a pH of 6.0 to 7.8, and hardness ranges from zero to 15°dH. However, whilst for maintenance purposes water chemistry is not critical provided that cleanliness of the aquarium is maintained, for breeding purposes the water chemistry becomes considerably more so. The temperature range of the Harlequin Rasbora is usually cited as 22°C to 27°C (72°F to 81°F) (for example, Walker, 1971, p.101) but the fish is capable of living in temperatures from 21°C to 28°C, and indeed usually breeds at around 28°C (82.4°F).

Not much difference but if you have a pH of 8.6 and hardness of 20 dGH like mine a significant one? :wink:

All the best James

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'll definitely keep my thread updated about the rasboras and fry. I also have this sub-dom male back in the tank who is a known fry raider too. Should make for an interesting next week or so in my tank :popcorn:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.