Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I decided to get some Pristella tetras (9) to help make my German blue rams feel "safe" in their new tank (20 long). I use bottled water since my tap is hard and alkaline--it goes through activated carbon, RO, and UV sterilization. My tetras are, one by one, flipping upside down and dying. I assumed the fish store uses tap, so I made sure to acclimate them very slowly.

Are they doing this because they are weak/sick, or is it the change in water? They aren't gasping or anything. My rams in the water are doing fine (no stress color). I did get the tetras at a big box pet store. . .so they could be bad strain or sick.

Just wanted some opinions. I'm going to take them back, but I don't want to get the same type if they won't do well in my water.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, it could be a number of different things. What are you water parameters (nitrites, nitrates, ammonica, ph). That's a good place to start.

Either they were a bad bunch, didn't acclimate properly or there is an issue with your water.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I exchanged them--the store tested my water (everything normal, 0, except nitrates at 20 which is within normal range--I need some food for my plants). I got 8 more and they survived, and are now helping my rams get used to the tank finally. Scardey cats.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
My giant danios are doing the same thing for my silver dollars - sometimes a simple addition can do so much for a tank :thumb:

best of luck with this batch

·
Registered
116 Posts
I love danios as dithers, I have a mix of pearl, leopard and zebras for my tank and they made even my shy keyhole feel right at home in the tank they are in. Not to mention a small bioload.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts