Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it be a good idea to get some dither fish to stop my GT pair chasing each other? if so what would be a good species?

which species would be quick enough to get out the way but not go looking for trouble???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Firstly how big is your tank.If large enough Sev's would be good or any mild mannered mid/large SA.Idid have a shoal of silvver dollars with them but the dollars where too fast at getting to the food and the female started loosing wieght so they soon went.The gold saum or gt get a bad rap for being aggressive this pair certainley were not only when protecting spawn and then only briefly chasing intruders away.I know victoria grden center on donny road had red sevs in at 3-4" at £9.95.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I keep 4 Phenacogrammus (Micralestes) interruptus and 6 Trigonostigma heteromorpha with my wet pet GT (45UK gal). Both work just fine although the Trigonostigma are something that you might lose a few of every once in a while....

If I didn't have the Trigonostigma in there I'd probably just go with 6-8 Phenacogrammus (Micralestes) interruptus.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blairo1 said:
I keep 4 Phenacogrammus (Micralestes) interruptus and 6 Trigonostigma heteromorpha with my wet pet GT (45UK gal). Both work just fine although the Trigonostigma are something that you might lose a few of every once in a while....

If I didn't have the Trigonostigma in there I'd probably just go with 6-8 Phenacogrammus (Micralestes) interruptus.

Doesn't the gt just see them as food??? And therefor chase them more often???

Nice tank btw :thumb:

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Actually no, but my GT is a bit younger than yours.

The Trigonostigma are quick fish and they stay behind the GT as much as possible with only the occasional lunge, keeping a decent size group will help as chucking in only one or two pretty much symbolises to our fish that it is feeding time...

As for the Phenacogrammus they're just like silver dollars but smaller - they're fast, tough and certainly aren't an easy target, I haven't see the GT go for them at all yet and I'd say they're probably one of the better (smaller) tankmates for fish like this.

Hey, you can only try, your fish may be tolerant of these types of dither or they may be more predatory, you won't know until you try. Trigonostigma are a risk, the Phenacogrammus are fair game.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Giant danios or Some type of rainbow would work great. About 6-10 should make a great school of either. I've personally had giant danio in with lots of big cichlids such as red terrors, Midas, flowerhorns, chocholote cichlid, and oscars just to name a few.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BigJagLover said:
Giant danios or Some type of rainbow would work great. About 6-10 should make a great school of either. I've personally had giant danio in with lots of big cichlids such as red terrors, Midas, flowerhorns, chocholote cichlid, and oscars just to name a few.
Thanks for the help, ill try the danio's ther nice looking fish and i don't know anywhere round here that stocks any of the other species mentioned.

As it's a 50 (uk) gal tank with 2 green terrors (7" & 5") what would be the maximum number of danio's or similar fish i should put in so i'm not messing up the balance too much, overstocking etc...

·
Registered
413 Posts
I say 6-8 would be max. Just watch how much you feed them al for the first few weeks. This should allow you to build up the bactria in the filter system. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BigJagLover said:
I say 6-8 would be max. Just watch how much you feed them al for the first few weeks. This should allow you to build up the bactria in the filter system. :)
Is it necessary to feed the smaller fish or will they be ok on the ample scraps that the green terrors create when eating their own food?

·
Registered
413 Posts
While they are small the scraps should be fine. Just make sure they do get enough to eat though . Once they hit 3" + they need to be fed just as your Green Terrors do. Although mine did just fine once they could get the hircari cichlid pelets in their mouths.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These are the giant danio's i bought from pets at home & so far so good (by that i mean there is no missing fins or deformities) cos pet's at home aren't my first choice for quality fish but it's the only place i could find giant danio's.

I got them eating crushed up cichlid gold so that should be like steroids for them.

The female GT gave a little chase but got bored quite quickly & the male just seems to be confused and is hiding at the bottom of the tank but at least it's not trying to batter the female.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts