Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some tips on a good dither selection for my tank (36"x12x18).

Looked at danios but disappointed by the LFS's stock. Not many look too healthy so didn't get any.
Would love a good school with some great color. Would Cardinal Tetras work? Have fairly hard water.

Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Tetras prefer soft acidic water.. I think.....

I used Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish for my dithers, I had 8 in a 30"Lx12"Wx15"H , worked well :thumb:
:fish:

·
Registered
24 Posts
My breeder recommended Acei's as ditherfish. Cheap, relatively passive and always out in the open plus hardy enough not to worry about. That and they are very pretty fish and readily breed.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Many tetras do prefer soft water, but easily adapt to harder waters as well. Cardinals and neons are a hit or miss, even in perfect water conditions it seems like sometimes you get bad batches and they all die within a couple weeks and other times you get a batch thatll last a few years. Congos, Emporers, Rummynose, + many other I havnt tried work great in hard water!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would a couple of Acei be ok in my tang tank (and not intimidate the much smaller Brevis)

Would they be ok on NLS cichlid pellets, or do they require different food due to being Herbivores?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Acei are marginally too big even for a 55G 48" tank since they mature at 7".

I'm thinking with brevis, comps and ornatus in a 36" tank you should not need dithers. But if you want to try something maybe paracyps?

Or...I don't know how they would do in a small group and with so many Tangs in the tank, but I've always wanted to try a tank with just shellies and harlequin rasboras.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the ideas,

The Acei got my mind working, are there any peacocks or haps that would be ok? Just wanna et one nicely colored. Wouldn't try to pair

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Can't think of any haps that would fit in a 36" tank. I was advised not to mix peacocks and altolamps so I never tried it.

Already a lot of fish in a 36" tank.

·
Registered
76 Posts
*** just had a similiar problem - i wanted a dither but the danios didnt float my boat and i was unsure about tetras. In the end i picked up some celebes rainbow fish yesterday and things are going very well with them. I have a Brevis pair, the male of which can be rather bossy, so i took him out while i introduced the rainbow fish. *** put him back - he took a little while to reorientate himself and *** not had a squeak out of him since.

Hope you find something you like :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
celebes nice..careful...good jumpers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts