Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started at the dorsal fin and looked like missing scales so thought he was being picked on. Came back from a week trip and it's now above his eye. It looks like tissue damage but also perhaps a fungus? Could it be lymphocystis?

21 various haps in a 60 gal tank. Other fish appear fine.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,481 Posts
Never seen anything like that...is it fuzzy? The dorsal looks fuzzy but the eye looks smooth.

Side note probably too many fish for a 60G. What are your test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its strange I haven't seen it either...and the damage by his eye pushes it out a bit; behavior is normal for everyone.

Nitrates tend to drift but I do a 20% water change every 10 days. May isolate this guy in a breeder cage and see if he gets better.

·
Super Moderator
40,481 Posts
The eye bulging out can relate to bloat...how are the feces?

I'd probably do Pimafix if the dorsal looks fuzzy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have to echo DJ's view that the tank is quite overstocked, even though the fish in question looks small. I would suggest your water changes are of too little volume and too infrequent. You are changing what basically amounts to a gallon a day. Keep in mind that meds are rendered ineffective in iffy water. In increments, I would get that tank on a %50, twice weekly water change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes they are more frequent now - 50%. I think it's pop-eye; I have him isolated. I reducing amount of feed here too to help w nitrates + water change. If it's overstocked then I received poor advice, though fish have been good for almost a year at this density with frequent water changes. Making adjustments so appreciate the help all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts