Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
fishyguynice said:
DirtyBlackSocks said:
I wouldn't, severum will terrorize discus due to the similar body shape.
Are you saying this from experience or ... :roll:
From experience severums can be really nasty toward similar sized cichlids in general.
I absolutely would not keep them with discus.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
I've never personally kept severum with discus, but I've bred both and have a few years under my belt...

It would work in a huge tank - simply because the severum would be able to section off a territory the discus would never go near. But we're talking somthing out of the ordinary, I'd say at least 8'x4'x4'.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Like Dirtyblacksocks, I can easily say NO, these cannot be kept together having kept both species... even though I have not mixed the two I can be certain... if Severums bit a hole in the side of a yellow lab, ate 12 danios, a Julidichromis and killed a fellow severum, I did not really have to actually try it... just like I don't have to stick a fork in my leg to know it'll hurt ;)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
My Rotkiel Severum was a very laid back fish... That being said I kept her with breeding cons and a 7" Jack Dempsey. Even though she never acted outwardly aggressive she RULED the tank (with a very peaceful fist)... If her mere presence could keep those tankmates inline I imagine she'd give the shy Discus a heart attack :lol: .

But seriously, aside from Sevs being more aggressive to similar looking fish (which is quite common with cichlids) the temperature requirements of the 2 species are further apart than I'd be happy with... You could always compromise and have your temps somewhere in the middle - but then neither species would 'thrive' (i'm speculating)...

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
A good substitute for the discus that may be able to handle themselves a bit more acceptably would be fish out of the festivum complex, insignis in particular are very close to severum temprement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts