Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
10 discus in that tank easy. I use a variety of dry, frozen and live for my discus. All are generally taken well. I have found that they often will not take pelleted dry though even if premoistened.

·
Registered
147 Posts
tetraprima is good as is tony tan granular food . sera discus is another good dry discus food . hikari make a discus food too but i have never used that 1 so i cant comment on it , altho hikari is an excellent brand so im sure it will be just as good as their other products .

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discus can get a little "finiky" depending on what they get used to..my Discus don't touch dry food even if I a try to tease them with it, they just look at it like: a-stone-falling-down"..:)

Of course if one starve them they will eat something at the end ( not the way to go IMHO)

What I do is that I mix the dry food diet and other nutrients into the beefheart mix and they thrive just fine on it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I have been trying just about everything with these guys. They are picking at a little bit of everything but real move for that beefheart. They been in the tank 4 days and all are active. NLS and flake are not there favorite at all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think alot of it is how they were raised as babies. My breeder is awesome but my only beef with him is ALL he feeds them is a beef heart blend. Thus when I recieved mine, even the three monthers I got all they will eat is beef heart. They will peck at frozen mysis, but most of that will go to their tankmates who are happy for the treat. They wont touch pelleted food, eat colored and softened discus pellets. I have started adding mysis and pellets into the blend now so maybe eventually they will recognize it. I havent bothered with flake.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I decided to make a blend of beefheart to save some money. My breeder used beefheart as his main staple and my little buggers didn't want anything else. Well looks like its frozen for me after all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.